• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Route 66 trip

20210820_141743.jpg20210820_132555.jpg20210820_125159.jpg20210820_144511.jpg20210820_141556.jpg

20210820_144641.jpg20210820_144650.jpg

Topeka KS, Evil Kienevel museum, double check, they were trying to move to Vegas: OKC down to Clinton OK, "PONY BRIDGE" kind of off beaten patch, but neat (stop on bridge for pic, locals will give you the "DAMN TOURIST" look, didn't care!!!! RV, keep with trucks on I70 and use bypasses around Indy, DEFINATELY St Louis (I use north bypass 370, & wave to @Hey-O as cross Missouri river

70 through St Louis SUCKS in a car, RV would be NASTY: tight lanes, lane shifts & CRAZIER THEN NYC & Mass drivers

Oh, traffic CAN be ALMOST, ALMOST as bad as the QE Way/401 up in Toronto. Tons of construction on I70 ALL THE TIME.

70 through St Louis SUCKS in a car, RV would be NASTY: tight lanes, lane shifts & CRAZIER THEN NYC & Mass drivers
I pulled a travel trailer through there during the evening rush hour on a weekday in 2023. That's probably up there with my top 3 longest prayers.

The first time I was on Rte 66 was in 1966 with my parents, from St. Louis to Oklahoma City. We sure stayed in some small towns but it was a fun trip. I was almost 14 years old. The first time I traveled it alone was in 1973 in my 71 Challenger convertible (which I still have). It was a great trip from St. Louis to LA. I stayed a night in Winslow, Az. I stopped at a gas station in the Oklahoma panhandle and went inside the station to use the restroom. I came out and the attendant had popped the hood on my car and was messing around under there. He said I needed a new fan belt. I checked and I didn't need one ( it was new when I started the trip), but I did see him put a pocketknife hurriedly in his pocket when I came out. I almost caught his hands in the hood when I slammed it down. I paid for my gas and left. Good times.
Terry W.
Your story reminds me of another memory from the 66 trip I posted earlier. Stopping at a gas station the attendant was checking the oil in Bill’s ’67 Riv. He could see it being checked beneath the opening of the open hood behind the wheel. The guy came over to the driver’s door with the dipstick saying you’re a quart low. Bill asked “Is that with your thumb in the way or not”?

Taking notes fellas.
Thank you.
We'll see how many recommendations you all suggested that we run across during the trip.
Hoping to get some pics posted along the way :thumbsup:

I like this feature in the RV.

IMG_0035.jpeg

About 4 hours into the drive. Made it out of NY, through PA and into Ohio right now.

Be sure to check the fridge door stays closed and check the tires and tie downs in the trailer when you stop to rest.

Be sure to check the fridge door stays closed
The fridge door stays closed ok. But the sh..tuff in the fridge came falling out two different times when it got opened lol :rolleyes:

and check the…tie downs in the trailer when you stop to rest.
Yup, checked the straps as they typically need another click or two after the first few miles down the road, in my experience. T’was the case here too :thumbsup:

A pit stop just outside of Dayton and we saw this ‘73 Charger being trailered…

IMG_8682.jpeg

IMG_8683.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back