• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Route 66 trip

We did a Route 66 leg on a trip from Oklahoma to Arizona in 2016. Ghost towns of Glen Rio, Texas on the Texas / New Mexico line is cool as a ghost town with lots of old, abandoned buildings. Cuervo, New Mexico is a cool old town with an old church and buildings on the south side of the interstate and the old town buildings on the north side. Getting on the frontage road at Lupton Arizona and heading east a mile or so has a trading post and caves that reminds me of a scene from the Pixar movie Cars. Seligman, Holbrook and several other towns in Arizona have motels that also look like scenes from Cars. A fun trip. We did it in my 2015 Challenger for comfort. BTW, my wife locked me in the old jail at Glen Rio. Many of the buildings there are falling into disrepair. The abandoned gas station still has the old gas pumps from the 1960s/70s there
Terry W.

OKC bombing memorial in downtown area a few blocks off I-40.

@Dennis H took the trip a few years ago starting in OKC. He'd be a good source of information.

Arizona Trading Post.....
Arizona Trading Post #3.JPG
Arizona Trading Post #4.JPG
Arizona Trading Post #2.JPG

You may want to buy or borrow a GPS made for RV travel. The routes consider the height and width of the RV and will route accordingly. It's been a problem solver for people who couldn't go through a tunnel, under an overpass, etc. because their RV wouldn't fit.

Pops in Arcadia, OK right near the big Red Barn. 1000s of soda flavors, fuel, diner, tourist memorabilia.

I haven't done the entire thing, but I drove my 62 Belvedere back from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City. My mom tagged along and we saw several of the old stops along the way. It was enjoyable.

Tucumcari was our favorite stop. We ate in a little restaurant called Del's across and down from the Blue Swallow Motel. We drove in just after dusk and it was beautiful.

Shamrock, TX has a restored old gas station. We stopped at the new Lucille's restaurant. Somewhere we found the barbwire museum.

You may want to buy or borrow a GPS made for RV travel. The routes consider the height and width of the RV and will route accordingly. It's been a problem solver for people who couldn't go through a tunnel, under an overpass, etc. because their RV wouldn't fit.
That’s a really good idea. I’m going to look further into that.

Winslow Arizona............standing on a corner......

View attachment 1704157

Sich a fine sight to see.

I was looking for two women in that picture with stones in their hands LOL.

I haven't done the entire thing, but I drove my 62 Belvedere back from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City. My mom tagged along and we saw several of the old stops along the way. It was enjoyable.

Tucumcari was our favorite stop. We ate in a little restaurant called Del's across and down from the Blue Swallow Motel. We drove in just after dusk and it was beautiful.

Shamrock, TX has a restored old gas station. We stopped at the new Lucille's restaurant. Somewhere we found the barbwire museum.
Tehachapi to Tonopah?

I've been on 66 a bunch of times, mostly in Arizona. The most I've done was on a trip to Tennessee to pick up a car. I've seen the Cadillac ranch and a rew other landmarks. I still want to do it all, west to east in a classic, with a group of friends of course. I took this pic in Kingman where I have a rental house on our trip to Grand Canyon and Sedona last year. We were in a rental car so I left it out even though it was a Charger.

View attachment 1703916
1722569706114.png
My home town

When we went all the way from St.Louis, it was all original pavement. Only a/c was at the motels,no GPS.1970 was the year and the month was August. Whew!

Auto Transport Service
Back