• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So: can you help me out on a Hemming's Muscle Machine article?

Not the RB383, I was talking about the 440HP's extra cost/weight negating using it as the standard 70 Bee beyond the marketing angle.

The "gentleman's muscle cars" were the RT/GTX which had a 440-4 standard and were slotted above the Bee/Road Runner. Back in 67 the RT/GTX came with a 440-4, so in 68 when introducing the Bee/RR they couldn't butt in their market, and I'm sure they didn't want to go backwards to a 413 so then just went to the 3.75 stroke 383 for the performance angle. The MSRP between RT/GTX and Bee/RR was big money at $500, or $3200 in today's dollars.

If you really want to be confused about marketing, start talking about the Charger R/T and how that even slots above the Coronet R/T because of hidden headlights.:lol:

The Charger was initially slotted as a "personal luxury car" to compete in the realm of the Thunder Bird/Rivera/later Cougar, Monte Carlo and Grand Prix.

Where the Coronet R/T would be postioned against the SS Chevelle, GT Farlane and GTO, the Charger R/T would be positioned against the 442, Buick GS, & Mercury Cyclone. Those would be the equivalent "up line" other makes in the market.

Based on production numbers, the introduction of the 68 Charger R/T doesn't seem to have hurt the sales of the Coronet R/T compared to '67 as they were about the same between the two years. While Dodge may have been disappointed in a, presumably, estimated increased production bump due to a new body style in the Coronet, they had to be pleased with the sales of a higher margin Charger R/T.

told you so bee_ski!!! (btw nice Charger summary 69coronetrt)
Hey, since your original ? was on the 440 in a 70RR, I came across this on allpar.com, I think it was quoting an excerpt from Paul Herd's book:

In 1969, Ford responded with the Cobra (a Fairlane with a 428), but the Road Runner kept going to win Motor Trend’s Car of the Year award; the 1970 440 6-barrel option helped, providing Hemi-like acceleration with a much lower price tag. The 440 four-barrel wasn’t available in 1969, though; as K.C. wrote:

Many people back in the day ordered 440 emblems and installed them on Road Runners and Super Bees because we didn’t like telling people we had a 383. It was common. Used car lots did it too because a 440 car sold faster! Many Mopar guys today argue that they owned a 1969 440 four-barrel Road Runner or Super Bee. They bought them used, and the seller/car lot told them it was original.

Yeah,
My "data base" is huge.
But: This one slipped by me!
My original 383 F1 black vinyl top, 727 coulumn shift "post" Bee with the AC and reverse hockey stripes is a gorgeous car.
Im happy, it's just that for some stupid reason I picked up a 70 "short block" 426 hemi and installed it in the car.
You guys could have ALL made money off of me on a BET
I would have lost....

****thanks guys, I'm ashamed...

Auto Transport Service
Back