• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So: can you help me out on a Hemming's Muscle Machine article?

Nice car
I'll give him a 2007 Shelby GT 500 Signed by Carroll Shelby with only 203 miles on the odometer

4mayhemi:
Yes sir, that is the car......
Wish it were mine
I originally saw it online on Craigslist in Oct of 16 for 35K, have the ad still. It was near Miami. Called the guy, he said some guy from NY picked it up already, don't know if that was the flipper you talked to. I really wanted that car too.
Been waiting for it to resurface.

I originally saw it online on Craigslist in Oct of 16 for 35K, have the ad still. It was near Miami. Called the guy, he said some guy from NY picked it up already, don't know if that was the flipper you talked to. I really wanted that car too.
Been waiting for it to resurface.
Yeah, it was THAT guy I spoke with
Near Miami
He sent me 40 pics of the car

I almost flew down to see both him and the car
BUT: he wanted $40K then
Probably Sept/Oct time frame
Time flies
(I have been so darn busy with "work")

I can NOT figure out why Plymouth did NOT "STUFF" the 440 4BBL into a Roadrunner in 1970!
Was it available in 1968 OR 1969
68 RR only option was that glorious solid lifter hemi...base was the 383, no 440s except the 6-barrel in 69-1/2....interesting on the 70 I though they had a 440-4 option as well...I thought WRONG! Happens all the time just ask her...

Ha Ha
Me too "beanhead"
PS: What part of whackyfornia are you from?
I'm at Edwards AFB
Clovis, in the central valley...(next to fresno)...I was gonna say "the hot part!" then I saw where you're at..we're lightweights in comparison!

Ha Ha
Nice area you are in!
Sweet!
I was stationed in Atwater back in 1980
(Castle AFB)
...yeah, I'm old now....

Okay, SO:
June 2006 Hemming's Muscle Machines states:
Engine options for the 1970 Superbee were:
1. 383 Magnum
2. 440/375
3. 440- Six Pack
4. Hemi

So: I'm going to say YES: the 70 Bee was available with the 440 Magnum engine

I'll disagree with Hemmings........440/375 would make it a Coronet R/T

Okay, SO:
June 2006 Hemming's Muscle Machines states:
Engine options for the 1970 Superbee were:
1. 383 Magnum
2. 440/375
3. 440- Six Pack
4. Hemi

So: I'm going to say YES: the 70 Bee was available with the 440 Magnum engine

Did they offer any proof of the 440-4 in a Bee or are you simply taking them at their word?

1970 Dodge Data book

70dodge-440.jpg

Did they offer any proof of the 440-4 in a Bee or are you simply taking them at their word?

Confused 69coronetrt.
I'm just confused.....
I always thought the Superbee came with a 440 4V
Same with the roadrunner
It just would have made so much sense...
It just supports the "mainstream idea" that they truly were low budget, affordable cars.

It just supports the "mainstream idea" that they truly were low budget, affordable cars.
But in 70 a 4bbl would still be a 440HP motor, so costs of the rods, crank, dampers etc. could play. Also, how much weight does a 383 have under a 440, 50-100lbs or so?

Last edited:
Confused 69coronetrt.
I'm just confused.....
I always thought the Superbee came with a 440 4V
Same with the roadrunner
It just would have made so much sense...

Putting a 440-4 in a lower cost Bee would offer no distinction between it and an R/T. You'd be cutting into your own line up. The R/T was an upgrade in engine and trim. That's why the Bee got the lower cost 383-4 standard with optional Hemi in 68-69 or the optional 6-bbl in 70. (71 is a little different so we'll set that, and the 69 A12 package, aside for now).

The 440-4 was offered in a 70 Road Runner but only with the Superbird package.

Bottom line.....Hemings printed an error.

Putting a 440-4 in a lower cost Bee would offer no distinction between it and an R/T. You'd be cutting into your own line up. The R/T was an upgrade in engine and trim. That's why the Bee got the lower cost 383-4 standard with optional Hemi in 68-69 or the optional 6-bbl in 70. (71 is a little different so we'll set that, and the 69 A12 package, aside for now).

The 440-4 was offered in a 70 Road Runner but only with the Superbird package.

Bottom line.....Hemings printed an error.

Yup, sounds correct 69coronetrt.....

But in 70 a 4bbl would still be a HP motor, so costs of the rods, crank, dampers etc. could play. Also, how much weight does a 383 have under a 440, 50-100lbs or so?

I ve done both engines, recently built the 440 for the 67 GTX
YES: The 383HP is a "stout/robust" block
If I were to guess I'd say 35 Lb heavier....

I ve done both engines, recently built the 440 for the 67 GTX
YES: The 383HP is a "stout/robust" block
If I were to guess I'd say 35 Lb heavier....
Not the RB383, I was talking about the 440HP's extra cost/weight negating using it as the standard 70 Bee beyond the marketing angle.

The "gentleman's muscle cars" were the RT/GTX which had a 440-4 standard and were slotted above the Bee/Road Runner. Back in 67 the RT/GTX came with a 440-4, so in 68 when introducing the Bee/RR they couldn't butt in their market, and I'm sure they didn't want to go backwards to a 413 so then just went to the 3.75 stroke 383 for the performance angle. The MSRP between RT/GTX and Bee/RR was big money at $500, or $3200 in today's dollars.

If you really want to be confused about marketing, start talking about the Charger R/T and how that even slots above the Coronet R/T because of hidden headlights.:lol:

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back