• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid roller lifters for street/strip

HEMI-ITIS

STREETER on LI
Local time
12:06 PM
Reaction score
I just lost a solid roller lifter after 7 years. They were comp 848 with pushrod and needle bearing oiling. Anyone use the lifter with a bronze bushing instead of needles?
These lifters have over 10k miles on them and countless runs on them.

335267-9d106c3c2377c0bbb3edbb4d6e7f3a1b.jpg

413860-0bb4ce3f2c1346f8a651aad6be4f2039.jpg

Been running bushed Isky's since 2014. Close to 800 passes with 310/805 pressure. Either them or Bam bushed.
Doug

I’ve been running bushed BAM roller lifters since 2019 with no issue

Just my opinion as a Machinist, but needle bearings are "Point Loaded" and bronze bushings have more surface area
to distribute the load evenly. Highly loaded equipment always uses bushings and lightly loaded equipment with alot
of cycles of movement are designed with needle bearings.

Plus, with a sol lifter cam, the lash allows the needle rollers to get 'hammered'. Ball & roller brgs do not like to be hammered...

I’m using Crower now, seem to be great but only have about 25 passes and 1200 mile on them so far, don’t know if they are bushed or needle.

In 59 years I have just shy of 300,000 miles on my Crower solid lifter roller tappets. The only things I wear out are an occasional pushrod (adjuster) end.

I run a Milodon super rev kit assembly to keep constant tension on the valvetrain so that the only slack is between the valve stem and the rocker arm. It worked just fine on our AA/FD back in the sixties and it's been a life saver on my hemi hot rod.

Occasionally, one of the chromemoly rings holding the rocker arm up off the valve stem will break and I'll immediately eat up a pushrod but they're super easy to replace on the side of the interstate so it's no big deal.

I broke a rev kit spring back in 2014 and that was a bit more work to change but I have spares, so.........
DSC_0466-reduced.jpg

ISKY, Crower and BAM are good. Jones Cams has a great Xceller8 steel on steel rollers that are darn near impossible to wear or break.

Auto Transport Service
Back