• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Surely not an A body on fbbo!!!

fine69

Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
I know I know. Wrong car for this website and probably the wrong category in this forum. But I don’t own an A body (yet) so I won’t register on fabo just yet and I figured there may be a few B body owners who also have an A or two and might help me out.
I found a 1970 Valiant Duster the other day, tracked down the owner who is willing to sell it and said “Make me an offer…” I can’t decide what it’s worth though. The car is 99% complete, all original, but pretty rough. Slant six, 3 on the tree, manual steering and brakes. The rockers have holes, lower rear quarters are rusty and I can see at least one hole in the floor. Owner said the torsion bar crossmember is pooched too. I couldn’t get the trunk open.
Nevertheless, I kinda want it. Anybody have any ideas what a fair (or slightly less than fair) offer would be?
Thanks
Nigel

IMG_2854.jpeg

IMG_2853.jpeg

IMG_2852.jpeg

IMG_2851.jpeg

IMG_2850.jpeg

IMG_2849.jpeg

IMG_2848.jpeg

IMG_2847.jpeg

I know I know. Wrong car for this website and probably the wrong category in this forum. But I don’t own an A body (yet) so I won’t register on fabo just yet and I figured there may be a few B body owners who also have an A or two and might help me out.
I found a 1970 Valiant Duster the other day, tracked down the owner who is willing to sell it and said “Make me an offer…” I can’t decide what it’s worth though. The car is 99% complete, all original, but pretty rough. Slant six, 3 on the tree, manual steering and brakes. The rockers have holes, lower rear quarters are rusty and I can see at least one hole in the floor. Owner said the torsion bar crossmember is pooched too. I couldn’t get the trunk open.
Nevertheless, I kinda want it. Anybody have any ideas what a fair (or slightly less than fair) offer would be?
Thanks
Nigel

View attachment 1675114

View attachment 1675115

View attachment 1675119

View attachment 1675120

View attachment 1675121

View attachment 1675124

View attachment 1675125

View attachment 1675126
ANd that's just the damage that you see. I say $1000

Funny...I was thinking $1000 as well.
The car is complete but will need everything. The difference between restoring an A body and a B body is that the B has more aftermarket support while the A has a LOT more used parts in the pipeline. If you can piece together the car with clean used parts, you can do a Duster a LOT cheaper than a Satellite.

Thanks
Nigel

View attachment 1675114

View attachment 1675115

View attachment 1675119

View attachment 1675120

View attachment 1675121

View attachment 1675124

View attachment 1675125

View attachment 1675126
I wouldn't buy it for myself using your money.

You would be better off with one of those pickup trucks in the background.

The car is complete but will need everything. The difference between restoring an A body and a B body is that the B has more aftermarket support while the A has a LOT more used parts in the pipeline. If you can piece together the car with clean used parts, you can do a Duster a LOT cheaper than a Satellite.
Well alright then. I might throw in a $1000 offer. And that’s CAD, not USD. I don’t feel like I HAVE to have it but if he likes 1000, I think I’d pick it up.

Haha! Not a fan? There was 73/74 Charger Ralleye and a 71? Fury Sport near the duster too. I’ll take pics of those when I go back.

Haha! Not a fan? There was 73/74 Charger Ralleye and a 71? Fury Sport near the duster too. I’ll take pics of those when I go back.
Don't get me wrong...I like some A bodies; and including Dusters, but not that one as a project though. It's a parts car.

There's a whole LOTTA work there!!!!!

I think $1000 would be the very most top offer I would throw at it.....

Slant 6 Duster. Ah the memories checking oil in full service when I was a pump jockey. 500 to park it in my non-existent backyard and make me happy. :)

Blasphemy I say!!!! Those aren’t real trucks, don't have much of a payload capacity.
A better 74 Dart with all trim sold recently for 1000.00 in our money. No engine/trans.

Run away and find a solid a body. That car is shot. Not trying to be mean but you give him a $1000 and spend at least $25,000 more for it to be a really nice driver. 5 grand for interior,10 grand on paint and body,thats 15 right there. JMO

I’d do it for $1,000 US. Just make it structurally safe and get the drivetrain running. Then, drive the pants off of it! I love me some Dusters!
IMG_4317.png
IMG_4277.jpeg

I agree with DeltaV

I'd pass and keep looking. You buy that for any price and you're throwing money away. (Unless you plan to part it out, and even then you'll only break even after a lot of work)

Seems like $1K CDN is a popular guess - that's where I was going. You'd be advised to go into this with both eyes open. Rust never travels alone, and the torsion bar crossmember is a big deal. Where there's that kind of rot, it's almost guaranteed there is LOTS more to be had. And not to mention, it's really rough. Even looking at this from the viewpoint of spending your money for you, I'd suggest finding a better candidate unless taking this on as a serious project is OK with you.

If you want to upgrade to a v8 you will likely need to change out the entire drive train, including the K member, rear end, suspension etc. , even the lug pattern on the wheels If I recall correctly they are different on these A bodies with slant six Had a 73 and got rid of it. Was gonna cost more than it is worth.

A-bodies here? OMG I'm blind now!

Actually A-bodies are getting more love on the markets. I would personally pass on the car pictured. Unless there is a personal connection? Duster do make excellent drag cars. Especially budget builds. Not quite Chevy inexpensive. But the most bang for the buck in Mopar world.

I agree with the costs but the Duster like the A-body Barracuda is one of the harder ones than say a Dart cause they have Darts with 4 doors that become donors.... Good luck to the OP with whatever you decide and I agree looks like $1,000 car if it has a clean Title.

EDIT: It could have an 8 3/4 under it as I found some in /6 3 speeds. I personally don't see the car as being as bad as under the hood looks good. Around here the fenders and engine compartment pans would be completely gone! These look solid.
1717725617415.png

Last edited:
I could use that patina'd hood and the grill emblem. If the decklid is clean....that's bank.

Krusty 7-29-23 3.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back