• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Surprised by the final hammer price for this 66 Hemi Charger on BAT

It only takes two guys that want something to jack the price. Probably just a bad day. There’s also a big difference between the 1st and 2nd gen as far as interest from non Mopar guys. A 440 ‘68-‘70 would probably have gone higher.

For posterity:

VIN: XP29H61309600

Screenshot_20240707-183601~2.png

This 1966 Dodge Charger was delivered new to the Dodge Regional Office in Kansas City, Missouri, and it was purchased by the current owner in 2018 and subsequently underwent a refurbishment that was completed in 2021. The car is finished in turquoise over black vinyl upholstery, and power comes from a 426ci Hemi V8 paired with a TorqueFlite three-speed automatic transmission and a Sure-Grip rear end with a 3.23:1 final drive. Equipment includes dual Carter four-barrel carburetors, an aftermarket oil pan, a custom skid plate, a dual exhaust system with headers and electric cutouts, power-assisted drum brakes, power steering, Magnum 500–style 14″ wheels, a rear spoiler, and a RetroSound stereo. This first-year Charger is now offered in Canada by the seller on behalf of the owner at no reserve with build cards, manufacturer’s literature, spare parts, refurbishment photos, 1966–67 Dodge Charger Registry documentation, and Ontario registration.

I have been telling a guy I know with a 66 Charger that his car isn't worth as much as he thinks. This proves it to me. Nothing about this guys car is original. To top it off the engine is smoking bad out of the left bank, the non Hemi transmission only has first and reverse left and the rearend is noisy. Body and paint are driver quality ZZ1, and the interior has been changed to black and worn. My opinion is that it may be worth 30K as it's a real H code car that he pulled from a junkyard 25 years ago. I guess he will keep it for a while at his 85K asking price.

I have been telling a guy I know with a 66 Charger that his car isn't worth as much as he thinks. This proves it to me. Nothing about this guys car is original. To top it off the engine is smoking bad out of the left bank, the non Hemi transmission only has first and reverse left and the rearend is noisy. Body and paint are driver quality ZZ1, and the interior has been changed to black and worn. My opinion is that it may be worth 30K as it's a real H code car that he pulled from a junkyard 25 years ago. I guess he will keep it for a while at his 85K asking price.
Yep.

I sure would have considered that car at that price (not the one Mr. Hall is talking about!). I think somebody got a deal.
And add 40k, if it was a 2nd gen.

I sure would have considered that car at that price (not the one Mr. Hall is talking about!). I think somebody got a deal.
And add 40k, if it was a 2nd gen.
Double that easy... Sorry 66 Hemi Chargers have always been the "Low Price Leader" in the Hemi Car world...

Double that easy... Sorry 66 Hemi Chargers have always been the "Low Price Leader" in the Hemi Car world...
Agreed. hands down the most expensive car to restore and sells for the least amount of money

And for the record. You would be hard pressed to buy a done 2nd gen hemi charger for three times this amount, more than likely 4 times OR MORE

I know of a VERY well done black 68 Charger , hemi auto can be bought for mid $200s range

Agreed. hands down the most expensive car to restore and sells for the least amount of money

And for the record. You would be hard pressed to buy a done 2nd gen hemi charger for three times this amount, more than likely 4 times OR MORE

I know of a VERY well done black 68 Charger , hemi auto can be bought for mid $200s range
I have a buddy with a TX9 (Black) 69 Hemi 4spd Charger project.. Numbers matching, white interior, white butt stripe... He's turned down $100K... I guess he like me doesn't know when to take the money and run...

I have a buddy with a TX9 (Black) 69 Hemi 4spd Charger project.. Numbers matching, white interior, white butt stripe... He's turned down $100K... I guess he like me doesn't know when to take the money and run...
Yes, but where would he buy another one cheaper? If he really wants to have one.

Yes, but where would he buy another one cheaper? If he really wants to have one.
He wouldn't... TX9 Chargers are hard to find... Hemi Chargers are even harder to find... TX9 Hemi Chargers are hens teeth...

I guess he like me doesn't know when to take the money and run...
Count me in. I also wouldn't sell my 69 charger (r/t 440 survivor) unless i need the money or get a life changing offer like 10 million etc. which obviously won't happen.

Also i often spend time on sunday looking at whats on the market. I'm kind of under the impression classic cars prices have gone down in general. Am i wrong?

I know of a 1968 coronet rt . Light project avail.
Basically everything is done.
Needs assy.
Factory black . White int hemi 4spd car.

My hemi satellite is factory black car.
And it would take life altering money to make me think about selling

Last edited:
Hagerty Valuation (based on sales numbers, remember) put it at around $90k (taking into account
a 10% discount for being an automatic). I'd say the color hurt the car more than anything...
BAT hasn't been bringing the numbers they used to, thanks to some recent issues with other auctions
that have made news.
That said, I'd say to the new owner: "Well bought, sir or madam".

Oh, and PS - I'd proudly own it. I always liked those Chargers.

Beauty is strictly in the eye of the beholder. Common sense on the other hand can be something folks lack...
I do have a soft spot for them and I will have one sometime as then I will have all 3 body styles... I get it why they are so expensive and the fast back roof seems to be a love or hate thing. I love it and it represents the time in which it was built. All black 66 with that pretty trim and a set of torque thrusts is a stunning car.

I know of a 1968 coronet rt . Light project avail.
Basically everything is done.
Needs assy.
Factory black . White int hemi 4spd car.

My hemi satellite is factory black car.
And it would take life altering money to make me think about selling
That Coronet priced at life altering money as well?

Looks. It is the looks. There is a reason the 68-69-70s sold so many cars...

Auto Transport Service
Back