• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping a Borgeson steering box in a 1970 Charger

I had enough chassis grease in there, the boot just slipped right over with a little stretching. It was May 2022 when I did the swap. That is around the start of our warm weather so if you're dealing with colder weather, I'd assume the stuff isn't as soft and stretchy. I think you're nearing the warmest time of the year though, right?

This thread is gold. Here is the old and new in the Satellite. Still needs alignment but drives so much better.

Great write up KD, I’m almost a member of the borgeson club.
IMG_0228.jpeg

The Idler arms that I have here vary a LOT in design.

View attachment 1289166

View attachment 1289167

They all have the same offset but I think that I like #4 best based on the robust shape, the nylon bushings and the Zerk fitting to grease it.

View attachment 1289168

I'll trial fit the #4 Idler and if it lines up right, it will remain.

The stock Mopar chuck is approximately 15.7 to 1. With the Fast Ratio arms, the ratio is supposed to be close to 12 to 1.
When I first installed this Firm Feel Stage 3 chuck in 2002 or 2003, I was quite happy with it. I added the Fast Ratio arms in 2006. I've put maybe 15,000 miles this unit and had to adjust the clearance a few times to tighten up the on center slop. It got to the point where I just couldn't stand that sloppy free play from 11:00 to 1:00. I probably wouldn't notice any slop in a well rebuilt stock unit with stock steering arms. The higher effort built into the Stage 3 makes the slop more noticeable. The Fast Ratio arms only adds to the effort so of course, it makes the slop feel even worse than with stock arms.
The Borgeson has a 14 to 1 ratio. I've read from some that have used the Fast Ratio arms with this box but to me, a ratio of approximately 10 to 1 is too tight. I've read that most new cars are approximately 14 to 1 since that has been found to be the best compromise of handling and comfort. Because of this, I'm returning to the stock arms for this swap.
Where did you buy the #4 arm? my iddler arm grease fitting (90 degree) hits my torsion bar. 68 charger 383 engine

Where did you buy the #4 arm? my iddler arm grease fitting (90 degree) hits my torsion bar. 68 charger 383 engine
Our roller bearing idler may help you. I have older USA castings as cores. With my design, I can move the idler up and down slightly. Bergman Auto Craft.

Where did you buy the #4 arm? my idler arm grease fitting (90 degree) hits my torsion bar. 68 charger 383 engine
I don't know.
I have picked up parts from friends and others that have cleared out their garages, shops and sheds. I should mark these parts when I get them just to kn0w exactly what they are.

I hadn't considered that the Borgeson would need a longer clamp, but of course it would.

Feel like making more than one clamp?
I'm dealing with this now. Ordered the clamp from Detroit Muscle Monday, found out last night my Bergman coupler is too long. Made a "prototype" for myself from a coat hanger now just need to find a heavier guage wire/metal to make a permanent one. Love the steering upgrade though thus far.
IMG_20240722_083724.jpg
IMG_20240722_083730.jpg

We have the problem solver boot...
I saw that but, it's a bit pricey for a small piece of rubber at $17 more than the clamp and seal kit was....and I have to take it apart again to install. But, I've well over paid for plenty of stuff on this turd so, I may end up ordering one if I can't fab one up to work

Auto Transport Service
Back