• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tail lights stay on

69clone

Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm having problems with my brake lights staying on. My dad keeps fixing it for me but is it usually the switch goes bad or is the brake pedal too lose? Can't remember what it looks like down there. Anyone had this problem? I'll have to look at it tomorrow. Completely forgot i pulled the wire off the other day so i drove to work and back with no brake lights.. Oops. Also whats that switch called?

Thanks guys,
~Nick

Often the plunger on the switch is not coming out of the switch body enough. The switch can be screwed in and out of its mount to adjust the contact between the brake pedal and the spring loaded plunger.

Often the plunger on the switch is not coming out of the switch body enough. The switch can be screwed in and out of its mount to adjust the contact between the brake pedal and the spring loaded plunger.

That would be my first guess. It's purely mechanical so should be an easy fix once you study it.

As said before, the switch is most likely stuck or misadjusted. Crawl under the dash and look up to the upper part of your brake pedal, the switch is in that area and is a simple plunger type. Once you find it, you can figure out how it works easily enough.

Some cars also have one for the cruise control, so don't get confused there.

Good luck.

I had the same issue and messed with the switch and it never fixed it, come to find out my master cylinder was going bad.

Auto Transport Service
Back