• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tailpipes touching gas tank corners

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
Last week I installed a new gas tank in my 1967 charger. This morning I installed the tailpipes onto my exhaust system. Both tailpipes are just touching the triangular flap that is on each side of the gas tank.

I assume that that should not be the case. I thought I would post a few pictures and get a few comments. It seems to me that any heat that is gonna come off of the exhaust pipe. The transfer to the gas tank can cause me problems. I'll look forward to any comments or suggestions.

IMG_0320.jpeg

IMG_0322.jpeg

I don't think heat would be as much of a problem as noise and vibration with wear.
None is good.
Each situation will require your own solution of course.
I JUST finished installing a TTI system today and ran into this very issue on the left side.
I used a ratchet strap to move the hanger while I completed tightening the hanger and clamps.
I'm hopeful it will remain when the strap is removed and MAY leave the pull in place till after the first hot fire with the metal relaxed into that position.
Good luck
It's all a PITA without a lift.
Someone may suggest a dimple or trimming.
Other options. But I don't like violating tank.

DO NOT trim that corner of the tank. Just get under it and bend the tab. Its bent for a reason so bend it more and it will clear.

To clarify.
The TTI tail left trail pipe was touching the long flange not the corner.
The left side was a problem child but TTI did me solid once we determined the first head pipe sent was an issue.
It's all good now.

New tank and 3" TTI exhaust on my '67 Coronet. Had same issue. Bent large corners, and made some steel plates to move tailpipe hangers further outboard.

Auto Transport Service
Back