• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first Mopar you ever drove!

chargervert

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
My wife found a picture today of the first Mopar she ever drove. It is also the first car of any kind she ever drove. She learned to drive in the car and got her license in it as well! My first Mopar driving experience was I two separate Chargers. My 69 318 Charger and my parents Charger R/T SE. They also had a 70 Chrysler Newport convertible 383 two barrel car that I drove while I had my learner's permit. Imagine learning to drive in a car the size of an aircraft carrier! My wife learned to drive in a 64 Plymouth Belvedere wagon, pictured. The second picture was my mother's Charger R/T SE. I couldn't find a picture of my 69 318 Charger or the red 70 Newport convertible.
What was your first Mopar to drive?

IMG_5321(1).jpg

moms Charger.jpg

This one, in 1968. But a couple years later, I drove a GTX for the first time, a life altering experience. I own that same car today, after a chase that covered 52 years.

79F9D28D-2539-4B18-B1CE-36AD1C563ADE.jpeg

1E718951-8D84-49FA-9114-C67CC89CF6AB.jpeg

Last edited:
The first Dodge I drove was my Dad's 1961 Dodge Pioneer 2-door hardtop. White with Red interior, and slant 6 with "3 on the tree". It had those crazy reverse fins.

My mom helped buy this 1969 Dodge Charger, 383 4 barrel in 1987. It was my first car.
69 charger.jpeg

Neighbors 63 belvedere. I was 15 at the time. No license. Was not my first time driving either. Times were different in Buffalo in the early 70's.

64 Belvedere, at about 11.

Giving that some thought, no, my Uncles Dodge Power Wagon at about 7. Me steering, him shifting gears..

My buddy Chuck and I bought a pink/white '56 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door hardtop when in 9th grade.

277/powerflyte.

$35.00.

I pulled the heads and did a valve job. We bondo'd the rust holes using sheet metal and window screen.

Sold it for $275 as I recall.

My dad's 1970 Duster 318 that he bought new just after I was born. I was 16 and only had my license a few months on that rite of passage day. Still have the car and it's a pleasure to drive. It's actually too small for me so my first car was a 73 Satellite that I also still have.

Hard to remember my 1st mopar I drove before getting one. Timing of things escapes me. My folks didn’t have mopars until much later. Could be my HS buddy’s ’69 GTX 4-spd; but can’t remember if this was when I still had my ’67 GTO or when I had my ’70 Cuda. Well, my 1st mopar was the Cuda. Guess I’ll skip when it was driving my boss’s new company leased Chrysler. Yeah, huge. Timing thing again if I already had driven my bud’s GTX or had the Cuda then so I’ll give it honorable mention. He had me take it for gas and service. Had to get my land-legs back getting out of it, but was big & pretty, lol.

Between the ages of 15 and 18 years old.
My bud's '68 Fury wagon (belonged to his Dad at the time) then his brothers '69 Satellite wagon. Next was Grandma's /6 '70 Duster and Grandpa's 318 Dart, not sure what year. My first car was a 318 '73 Charger (lost to a drunk driver).

70 charger 500. Original plum crazy car but was painted blue. Black interior and top. A/C 318 console shift auto. Power drum brakes.

Didn't drive it but learned the 3 on the tree shifting sitting beside mom in her 51 Plymouth Cranbrook.....but 1st car to drive behind the wheel was a 56 Plymouth Belvedere Sports Coupe......1st car to drive by myself was a 63 Dart with 3 on the tree. Took the car without permission (well, I knew the answer would be no) to go mow yards when I was 13. It was dad's fault. After all, he's the one that let me drive the 56 many years earlier lol

First MOPAR I ever drove was a 69 RoadRunner. B5 blue, white vinyl top and white interior. 383/4 speed car that belonged to a good friend. I was 14.
[not so] Ironically, my first car was a B5 blue 70 RoadRunner... :)

my buddy bought a mid 70s former police car complete with a spot light before we were old enough to drive. I'm thinking Dodge Monaco....... the Duke boys ripped us off

My 67 Satellite 383 4 bbl at 22. I wasn't looking for a Mopar when it found me, but I loved it immediately and couldn't pass it up. First car I actually bought/owned and haven't owned another make since.

1987-001.jpeg

My 67 Satellite 383 4 bbl at 22. I wasn't looking for a Mopar when it found me, but I loved it immediately and couldn't pass it up. First car I actually bought/owned and haven't owned another make since.

View attachment 1714269
Young uncle of my best friend in high school had one nearly identical, with a four speed and console. Also remember he had a wife who looked like young Stella Stevens. Great memories.

Auto Transport Service
Back