• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first Mopar you ever drove!

If Jeeps still count, my boss at the time taught me to drive a stick shift in a Jeep Wagoneer on the hills of Folsom, Ca. Otherwise, my first would be my dads dodge MaxiVan. But the most memorable was my first 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus with a 318 drive train. I really wanted a stick shift, but even in the early 80's those were far and few, so I had the automatic transmission with the shift on the coulumn. I really should have kept her.

I'm not 100% sure, I think my uncle Tink's
58 DeSoto, Adventurer Firedome Hemi, couldn't reach the peddles
I was like (?) 11 y/o
then maybe his old 62 (?) Power Wagon, Poly 318, 4 speed on his farm/ranch,
in granny low
or one of his old CJs (a 58) Jeep around Bethel Island
pulling a hay trailer IIRC, about 11-ish
or helping him do postholes with the PTO drill off the back

my Mom's new 68 Sport Satellite 383 4bbl 4 speed
moving it in the driveway, for my dad like 10 - 11-ish
it was around Christmas time

my stepdad Bob's 60 Pheonix 2dr HT, Pinkish/Mauve cloth interior
with the long-ram, auto at like 12 y/o, up in Fiddletown in the summer
I had a big growth spurt between 10-11 & 12

I drove a rear engine/swing arm rear 61 Peugeot
(French POS, since they own MoPar now)
with hacked fenders & paddle tires on it
we/I got free & made it into a dune buggy rig, it only had 1st, 3rd & Reverse
all 37 HP
drove around Pismo Beach, in the summer I had just turned 10, in July
Bob told me/warned me if he ever caught me driving it on the street
*he'd cut it into pieces & haul it off to the junkyard
I did once down the Cobblestone court & Cobblestone drive
he found out
& he did *what he said he would, made me help load it & dump it too...

My first real road vehicle I drove any real distance,
was my stepdad Bob's hotrod 53 F100
hopped up 352/428 heads, T-10 4 speed, Dana 4.10:1,
around Park & Shop parking lot in Concord,
I was 10, IIRC it was around my birthday,
I went thru the gears to 3rd once, maybe 30-35mph
drove it in 1st & 2nd a lot...
Didn't do well when he had me do a panic stop
he had to reach over & shut the key off, no harm no foul,
had my foot on the brake & gas didn't step on the clutch...

Wall of text - Holy wall of text Batman, Budnicks is reminiscing again.jpg

First I ever drove was my parents 1974 Dodge Colt,,,,,,STATION WAGON. It was fun, and I'll leave it a that
This was the summer of I think 1976 ,??????

First one I bought on my own was a 1969 Roadrunner , 383 auto, bought it the summer of 1977 for the princely sum of $150 , and drove it home. Drove it all thru my senior year

Kept - Drove the colt on date night with the then girl friend

1st Mopar I drove was an ex state police car my dad bought at a Trooper auction. Unmarked ‘67 Fury I, 440. Not great out of the hole but you couldn’t run it out of top end.

I learned to drive in Dad's 71 Newport Custom and my brother 1972 Fargo D100. Brought home from the hospital in Dad's 53 New Yorker Deluxe. Lifer until Fiat/Peugot whatever they are.

IMG_20191211_0001.jpg

Like it was yesterday ! Was out at the range with my brother-in-law (R.I.P.) who was a police officer in California at the time. After a good afternoon with an assortment of .22's to .45's, he let me drive his 68 B5 383 Dodge Charger.

It was my grandfather's late 60's dodge dart 4-dr 225. But that was only in a cemetery (got some dirty looks from the workers.) The first one I drove legally on the road was probably my parent's 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus 2-dr. It was a 318 auto with no vinyl top. I really wanted to buy that car when they sold it in the late 70s but my dad refused to sell it to me. He was afraid I would go crazy with it - probably because he went a little crazy with the car he bought as a late teenager (1940 Ford.) I had hoped to get Magnum 500s and a RR hood! The first mopar I bought was a 1971 Chrysler Newport 4-dr hardtop. Very practical to get me back and forth to college - 'bout a 500 mile drive....

First Mopar I ever drove was an AAR cuda!
No Mopars in my family, and drivers Ed had Ford Fairmonts and a Datsun with a stick to teach manuals, so I didn’t drive a Mopar until I was car shopping.
I’d been saving up money from odd jobs for several years to buy a car when I got my license. I’d done all my research (consumer reports ha ha) and decided an AAR cuda or Challenger T/A was the perfect car of my dumb teenager wet dreams.
A few months after I got my license an AAR was advertised and me and my dad went to see it, and I test drove it. It was orange and automatic with 36,000 miles, and pretty mint.
It was also $1000 more than I’d saved.
A month later a little more shagged out condition Challenger T/A turned up I could afford, so a T/A was the 3rd Mopar I drove. I checked out a modded up 70 cuda 383 between the 2 trans am cars so that cuda was the 2nd Mopar I drove. Or maybe not, maybe the seller just took me for a ride, my T/A might have been the second I drove.
I got the T/A on the cusp of the worst winter ever here, and from then on it continued to prove itself a impractical car and burden to own, and I had a few brushes with death driving it in my teens combined with booze.
Yet we both survived somehow! It’s sort of like a high maintenance high school sweetheart who became a trophy wife!

It was like this: 66 Belvedere II with a slant 6 225 with a three on the tree. Dad's second car so he let me drive it like it was my own. I had an HVAC guy bend up some sheet metal in the form of two quarter panels. Didn't know how to weld back then so I pop riveted them on.

1724202581642.png

Last edited:
The first Mopar I drove was also the first one I bought, 1971 Barracuda. Slant 6, 3 speed manual, floor shift, black buckets seats non console interior, manual steering and brakes. It was white when I bought it, was originally FC7. Cool car, I think it was a pretty rare. I was 16 years old when I bought it, drove it home on my learner’s permit. It was the 2nd car I ever bought.

My dad's '49 Dodge B series pickup truck. I was about 10 when I started driving it on the farm, mostly when planting the crops hauling seed and fertilizer around in the fields. 218 cid flat head straight six with a 4 speed transmission with a stump puller 1st gear. I now have a '53 B series that is nearly identical to that '49. I still enjoy driving that old Dodge.

Last edited:
My Dad's 64 Chrysler New Yorker 413 like this one. My first introduction to Mopar big block torque. Shortly after I got a ride in a 67 GTX 440 4 speed, and that cemented it.

1964-chrysler-new-yorker.jpeg

First I ever drove was my parents 1974 Dodge Colt,,,,,,STATION WAGON. It was fun, and I'll leave it a that
This was the summer of I think 1976 ,??????
Let’s hear it for the Dodge Colt!! The first Mopar I drove was a 71, maybe 72, Colt. Dad bought it as a second car because we were getting more drivers in the family as us kids each got our license. It’s the only four speed car I ever drove.

First Mopar for me was an FK5 1970 V code Road Runner with a 4 speed and 4.10 Dana. Bought it in 1979 when I was 16 for $650. Raised a lot of hell in that car, lost my license and had to sell it. Unfortunately, the pictures of it didn't survive my first marriage.

Bought this from the original owner in May 1979. First Mopar and my first car. Paid $425.

Screenshot_20231019-073717-953.png

My folks 66 Imperial, in 1971, I was 11. Got my license in a 73 New Yorker. Drove my sisters 73 Gold Duster, my dad’s 76 Club Cab, (drove the 2 prior International Travelletes also). Had a 74 GMC I bought, beginning of junior year in 76. My first Dodge, was a new 78 D150, I bought right after graduation.

Looking back on this, it would have to been the 71 Cuda, that i placed an order for, back in 1971.
Kept that car for 39 years, before i sold it.

I'm not sure, but I think it might have been this one......

IMG_20230518_083814.jpg

IMG_20230518_083743.jpg

Wait wait wait! A post above reminded me that the first Mopar I had EVER driven was my driver training car. A green 1970 Roadrunner 383 727 column shift bench seat.. (yep, a real rr driver training car)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back