• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Flipper world is really messing up the car market

Hwy145

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
Last edited:
Part of the issue is the internet / high quality photos, lighting etc let people from all around the world see these cars and think they are actually getting a good representation of the car. Then they buy them, really "sight unseen", even though technically they have seen the car.

Years ago most people wouldn't lay down that sort of money without seeing the car in person and going right through it, but the internet photos give them false confidence. Also, in the past you couldn't sit at home, drinking beer, looking up cars, and then be able to click a button and buy a car online from anywhere in the world. The filppers are tapping into that market somewhat, they make the cars look so damn good, but in the cold light of day they are mostly average.

Yeah the new price seems way out of line...

For posterity:

VIN: WM23V0A152040

LOL
This isn't new!
It's just inflation makes the numbers bigger then you are used to.

15 years ago, I was looking at a 74 Olds Cutlass Supreme on CL. Actual old lady cream puff. About 2 hours away though. Planned to go look on the weekend if it was still there. $2800 bucks for a clean looking driving car blue with white interior.
Didn't last that long. By Thursday it was sold. Oh well.
On Saturday it showed up in Milwaukee with the typical car wash treatment new pictures while it is wet to make it more shiny, with a BS story and a $6k price tag.
I shook my head. But that guy sold it in less then a week. Sure, he probably took "only" 5k or something, probably didn't sign the title even.

Now days a car like that fetches 12-20K. The W-30 cars went from 12K to 40K now.

It's all relative, WELCOME TO 2024!
I mean heck, that guy didn't even double the price. Well, probably doubled what he paid for it anyway, but not the price you saw. Amateur hour! Left some meat on the bone! LOL.
It's worth what someone will pay. Always. Too many people are agreeable to building wealth on the backs of their neighbors. So here we are. You won't change them, more and more society accepts and embraces that.

To quote someone that commented on the car while it was on eBay for a reasonable price when many wondered why it hadn’t sold. “the car is a typical hacked together pile of sh%! turdpolish from a junk dealer. thats why its been for sale a few months. It’s really bad”.

True or not I do not know.

On Saturday it showed up in Milwaukee with the typical car wash treatment new pictures while it is wet to make it more shiny, with a BS story and a $6k price tag.
Was there a garden hose in the pic? That'd be the consummate professional right there. :lol:

eBay ad
Classic Car Cowboy:
Paul Guillotte in Dallas, Texas

LOL
This isn't new!
It's just inflation makes the numbers bigger then you are used to.

15 years ago, I was looking at a 74 Olds Cutlass Supreme on CL. Actual old lady cream puff. About 2 hours away though. Planned to go look on the weekend if it was still there. $2800 bucks for a clean looking driving car blue with white interior.
Didn't last that long. By Thursday it was sold. Oh well.
I shook my head. But that guy sold it in less then a week. Sure, he probably took "only" 5k or something, probably didn't sign the title even.

Now days a car like that fetches 12-20K. The W-30 cars went from 12K to 40K now.

It's all relative, WELCOME TO 2024!
I mean heck, that guy didn't even double the price. Well, probably doubled what he paid for it anyway, but not the price you saw. Amateur hour! Left some meat on the bone! LOL.
It's worth what someone will pay. Always. Too many people are agreeable to building wealth on the backs of their neighbors. So here we are. You won't change them, more and more society accepts and embraces that.
Yeah, but a 39k turnaround in 3 weeks is beyond inflation. Be careful out there…

Pics from High Octane, the seller.

1970-dodge-super-bee-440-six-pack (1)~2.jpg
1970-dodge-super-bee-440-six-pack~2.jpg

BTW, the other thread

Post in thread '1970 Super Bee: Thoughts on this car for sale? And intro from Minnesota.' 1970 Super Bee: Thoughts on this car for sale? And intro from Minnesota.

Pics from High Octane, the seller.

View attachment 1707774View attachment 1707775

BTW, the other thread

Post in thread '1970 Super Bee: Thoughts on this car for sale? And intro from Minnesota.' 1970 Super Bee: Thoughts on this car for sale? And intro from Minnesota.
Repro fender tag.....loving the mint welding job on the exhaust pipes.....and the engine must run like a pile of poo with a carboned up carburettor like that....

1723185998111.png

1723186014525.png

1723186031337.png

Someone had a barren field of f***s to give when they were polishing that turd. :rolleyes:

Business is business, life is a big case of buyer beware. You can flip anything, just don't get caught being the one that paid to much and end up needing years to catch up.

I sold a Charger roller for 8k and the guy who bought it put it on Ebay for 24k using my pictures and sold it!

Resale is a core of capitalism.

Business is business, life is a big case of buyer beware. You can flip anything, just don't get caught being the one that paid to much and end up needing years to catch up.
My A33 car has been flipped multiple times since I sold it in 2021, with the numbers getting pretty steep. Would not want to be the guy caught bare when the music stops.

My A33 car has been flipped multiple times since I sold it in 2021, with the numbers getting pretty steep. Would not want to be the guy caught bare when the music stops.
The whole world is out of control. Big money doesn't necessarily represent big brains.

Sold a 40 Ford pickup (major project) to a guy who told a story about wanting to restore it like his dear old grandpappy's truck and how much it would mean to him, blah blah blah. Was on CL the following day for double what he paid and it was still on his car trailer in the pictures. I had to laugh. I still would rather sell something cheap than deal with 100 CL flakes.

Sold a 40 Ford pickup (major project) to a guy who told a story about wanting to restore it like his dear old grandpappy's truck and how much it would mean to him, blah blah blah. Was on CL the following day for double what he paid and it was still on his car trailer in the pictures. I had to laugh. I still would rather sell something cheap than deal with 100 CL flakes.
After dealing with my share of flakes with the A33 car, I sold it cheap to the guy with cash and a trailer.

Yup, this 67 charger just sold here for 6k, a few days later showed up for 25k without even a wash job? Didn't sell so now listed for 27k??

Screenshot_20240809_105728_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back