• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Mopar orphan project....

ramairthree

Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
my RR is still a yard driver needing exhaust, new fuel tank, wiper motor, any lights working besides two headlights, etc.

My other project is an AMC.

Roadworthy, if not pretty.

I am making an homage to the 71/72 Trans Am Penske/Donahue Championship cars.

I am finding the 50% roller Rustoleum paint job to be more expensive though, closer to a hundred bucks. Must be because I am not using one color.

If any of you jokers ask me if its got a Dodge 360, Ford 390, nailhead 401 etc......

Start

DSCN4245.jpg

Ugly stage after restoring some 15x7s to replace the 14s, new American made rubber, had tranny rebuilt..

DSCN4388.jpg

Beginning homage stage...

DSCN4392.jpg

Little by little...

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

I am calling it a "race car" and will put numbers on it.
That will explain the low quality budget driveway body work and paint!

Honestly,
Both this car and the RR are planned for OK looking roadworthy drivers at 5K total each. (which means will be more like 7.5 K total each).

The RR has already had some body work done and in primer.
I have gotten going on the interior install and trying to make the sunroof at least not leak and hopefully actually work.

I wanted to try the rustoleum job, and started with the Javelin on purpose.
I think if you put the effort into it, and TIME, there are plenty examples of good looking cars.

However, time is always little for me. And I am always rushed. Plus, if it rains, you lose a day to throw down a coat.

I will end up with a decent twenty footer, that looks pretty bad up close.
But going by on the road it will look good and generate interest in muscle car era rides I hope.

I will NOT be doing the rustoleum job on the RR I decided after trying it out.
For me, paying someone to spray it, or borrowing someones set up to do it will be quicker and in the long run cheaper.

No matter how good it comes out,
I think time wise you will by far not come out ahead. Plus, if sprayed you can get better paint, etc.

The RR would be easier to do.
Less trim.
Its shaved, etc.
But not going to go that route.

I always liked those. Still saw plenty of them in decent shape on the road when I was a kid. Ever seen one with T tops? I think they made a few.

Wow, google "Javelin t top"...every 8th or 10th pic is a hot chick!!!

Javelin

My real auto love is AMC! Love what you're doing with that scruffy Javelin. I'd say it is a perfect plan considering the budget you have in mind. If I had the room I think I would do exactly the same sort of replica.
David ('68 AMX owner)

Auto Transport Service
Back