• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tie Rod and control arm question

Russmacman

Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
Hello all. 1978 Magnum. Finally have some time and resource to replace the engine. Removed everything frame out and reinstalled all new ball joints, and bushings all around. Installed the tie rod joints, and finger tight the drag link nut and Pittman arm nut on the center Link. Was going to put the end of the tie rod joints on the knuckle, but the angle seems so severe that I question if I have something put together incorrectly. Center Link has everything with a nut underneath and the tie rod joints going on the knuckle will have the nuts facing up. No engine in the car now and I thought I would give the T bars about 10 turns so far and no shocks installed as well. Does this look normal with no engine weight in the K frame? thank you.

IMG_1187.jpeg

IMG_1186.jpeg

Thank you PNORA and Ruffcut. Allen install the engine and transmission and then both up the tie rod components. Probably after I get the right a little bit closer when she’s on the ground. Also, first time I ever installed all brand new ball joints, tie rod joints, and anything with a grease fitting. Newbie question, but how much grease do I actually keep pumping before It’s too much? Will the rubber boot just keep expanding quite a bit more or will it tend to leak out where the shaft is. Don’t want to over grease or certainly under grease. thank you.

Thank you PNORA and Ruffcut. Allen install the engine and transmission and then both up the tie rod components. Probably after I get the right a little bit closer when she’s on the ground. Also, first time I ever installed all brand new ball joints, tie rod joints, and anything with a grease fitting. Newbie question, but how much grease do I actually keep pumping before It’s too much? Will the rubber boot just keep expanding quite a bit more or will it tend to leak out where the shaft is. Don’t want to over grease or certainly under grease. thank you.
Just enough to see the boot ever so slightly move. For the most part the first couple pumps is all you need. The grease at that point has filled the wear area and the rest will do nothing.

Auto Transport Service
Back