• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to hit the Track.

Thanks beautiful car and launch. I'm leaving at 3400 shifting 6300 both shifts for 1/8 6,50 index. 1/4 mile shift points are 6500 to second and 6700 to third. With 133 mph puts me at 10.02 to 10.04. 64 Belvedere 3250 with me 451 stroker 3800 converter

Thanks beautiful car and launch. I'm leaving at 3400 shifting 6300 both shifts for 1/8 6,50 index. 1/4 mile shift points are 6500 to second and 6700 to third. With 133 mph puts me at 10.02 to 10.04. 64 Belvedere 3250 with me 451 stroker 3800 converter
That’s pretty darned light.

That’s pretty darned light.
thank you still trying to find places to lose some weight me included Car was 2850 when I bought it with a 6 point roll bar. I added the bars to make it a 12 point cage 8.50 cert and a second seat and other small add on

thank you still trying to find places to lose some weight me included Car was 2850 when I bought it with a 6 point roll bar. I added the bars to make it a 12 point cage 8.50 cert and a second seat and other small add on
I got mine down to 3195 c/w full 8 gal cell and 2 batteries less driver, 6 point bar. Now it’s 3260 with lead. The lead and low shift points are to keep it above 10.000. Still working at it.

My last pass time slip
IMG_1083.jpeg

I got mine down to 3195 c/w full 8 gal cell and 2 batteries less driver, 6 point bar. Now it’s 3260 with lead. The lead and low shift points are to keep it above 10.000. Still working at it.

My last pass time slip
View attachment 1692554
Dang I keep seeing that weight and shrug my shoulders . I cant see where I might lose 500 lbs without semi gutting the Satellite . Yes I can lose maybe 80-100 lbs on the bench seat , rear seat is out , little more with removing heater demister unit . World block isnt helping . Has 4 w disc brakes though iron rear calipers . Guess I have to make more HP :) . But seriously high 20's mostly 30's is fine certainly I can run full out no worries like I used to on a 11.00 limit. I do have to run a muffler system so have a street system to diff on it . Maybe rag slicks and front runners are lighter than the radials I run, but I love the radials .

Tex

PS weight i list with driver and he's pretty skinny .

Dang I keep seeing that weight and shrug my shoulders . I cant see where I might lose 500 lbs without semi gutting the Satellite . Yes I can lose maybe 80-100 lbs on the bench seat , rear seat is out , little more with removing heater demister unit . World block isnt helping . Has 4 w disc brakes though iron rear calipers . Guess I have to make more HP :) . But seriously high 20's mostly 30's is fine certainly I can run full out no worries like I used to on a 11.00 limit. I do have to run a muffler system so have a street system to diff on it . Maybe rag slicks and front runners are lighter than the radials I run, but I love the radials .

Tex

PS weight i list with driver and he's pretty skinny .
Thinking there’s no problems over there with your set up Tex and I’d welcome additional weight to have an aftermarket block in a blink.

Ok .
Back to racing . Looks like i will get out again in about a months time . Will run a track championship rnd for practice , same price as a T&T and you will get 2 or 3 quals plus rounds plus often a better prep . I will use my GY radials for this and save the PBRs for national events This leads me back into the NDRC national series , if $ is ok might do rnd 3 of 24/25 season @ Sunset Strip . I have the Grand Final in October . Not sure if I will do as many rounds this season , hoping to have a holiday early next year .
Will keep leaving off the footbrake , just not sure I want to go back to transbrake .
No other changes again this year , just regular maintenance .

Tex

I just finished reading all 53 pages of this post. It was a great read. You sure have come along way. You have a beautiful car. A couple questions. Specs of engine (roller cam, compression). What ever happened to your grandson's racing career?

I just finished reading all 53 pages of this post. It was a great read. You sure have come along way. You have a beautiful car. A couple questions. Specs of engine (roller cam, compression). What ever happened to your grandson's racing career?
Holy crap that had to be quite a tough read but thanks! Yeah there sure is a lot more to this sport than a guy thinks. I’m thankful for all the help and support from all those here in FBBO over the years.

My 505 is 12.7CR. The cam is Comp solid roller custom grind with some numbers that I came up with. The last couple of seasons I’ve been going to the track solo. It’s good though, our pit area is tight and everyone helps each other.

The Grandson is real busy with life, especially since he turned 16. He works all the time, before and after school on week days and weekends too boot. So coming racing has taken a back seat for the time being. The entire last winter he worked on a dairy farm, up at 3AM till 8AM, then back again after schools. I couldn’t believe it and what kids do that at age 16 nowadays. I admire his work ethic but his mom sure hated doing his laundry when he was working at the dairy farm! His racing career is just on break.

I sure like your 64. I was following along for awhile, will have to check it out again.
Here’s the cam in my 505

IMG_3782.jpeg

Good to hear your Grandson has a good work ethic, he will go far in life. Three of my kids worked on dairy farms as teenagers and I think it was a big plus for them to understand how the world works. Or let at least how it should. I'm taking a step back from my 64 not sure what to do next.

Good to hear your Grandson has a good work ethic, he will go far in life. Three of my kids worked on dairy farms as teenagers and I think it was a big plus for them to understand how the world works. Or let at least how it should. I'm taking a step back from my 64 not sure what to do next.
A step back. Well, the single carb combo was a definite increase for you. Another check on locating/removing unnecessary weight will pay off. With your weight of car and 505 have you considered a low gear set? It was a game changer for me. That and when I switched from the 9” converter to the 8”.

A step back. Well, the single carb combo was a definite increase for you. Another check on locating/removing unnecessary weight will pay off. With your weight of car and 505 have you considered a low gear set? It was a game changer for me. That and when I switched from the 9” converter to the 8”.
Yes, I have thought about low gear set. Since I read your post it's on my list. I have many things on my list. My next step is going to be good shocks, ladder bars, low gearset and converter. I plan to make those change this winter. Then it will be going into motor more compression, and more of a race cam. Also, on list is fiberglass hood and bumper. I'm thinking of getting rid of crossram. I only race local bracket race so the crossram is only for wow factor lol. To be honest my goal is to get car to leave hard and carry the frontend. I have a long way to go I know but have to start somewhere. You and the other members on FBBO give me inspiration. Like DVW say if it was cheap and easy everyone would do it. Lol THANKS!

Yes, I have thought about low gear set. Since I read your post it's on my list. I have many things on my list. My next step is going to be good shocks, ladder bars, low gearset and converter. I plan to make those change this winter. Then it will be going into motor more compression, and more of a race cam. Also, on list is fiberglass hood and bumper. I'm thinking of getting rid of crossram. I only race local bracket race so the crossram is only for wow factor lol. To be honest my goal is to get car to leave hard and carry the frontend. I have a long way to go I know but have to start somewhere. You and the other members on FBBO give me inspiration. Like DVW say if it was cheap and easy everyone would do it. Lol THANKS!
That is quite a list. Having travelled that list a few things come to mind now as I look back.
The low gear set: I noticed the difference the first time I rolled ahead in 1st gear. It sure made a difference on my 505 combo. Having said that, lots of times guys will go back to the standard gearing with larger motors.
Ladder Bars: I have no regrets installing the ladder bars. Car is easy to do what you want and consistent. However, whether it’s ladders or split monos/cal tracs they both need good shocks.
Cal Tracs: I couldn’t get my car to work with them, and the best I got was a 1.38 60’ and inconsistent at that. But. I ran off the shelf QA1 dble adjustables. In hind sight if I would have invested in good good shocks and re-valved I have no doubt now that my car would have worked just fine. A good example of this is my pal who pits right next to me. His 68 Charger had ladder bars. Worked great, but he switched to cal tracs and worked with them. He still has them on and is running a very good Afco shock. He stands that car up time after time with I think a 1.30 60’. So for what that is worth.
A very fast racer right here in FBBO also told me they will go 9.0 with a good good shock and bracket maintenance. I wouldn’t switch back from my ladders but for what that is worth.
Fibreglass Hood/bumper: can’t go wrong with that. Probably the worst you could go wrong with that is by picking the wrong supplier.
And DVW - also can’t go wrong with any advise Doug gives. He has been there and done that. He helps the newbies and up and comers. I sure appreciate his words of wisdom over the years. And lots of the other FBBO dudes here too. Good luck!

Killer 68 Charger on Cal Tracs that runs 9.75’s all day long.
IMG_4807.jpeg

Yes, it’s a very big list. And with my budget it’ll take a few years. But I figure I’ll start with the rear suspension and work my way forward by that time. The motor will need freshening anyhow as far as fiberglass parts go I know who I won’t contact from reading your post, when I make any progress, I’ll sure to post it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back