• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

timing cover

dcw88

Local time
3:47 AM
Reaction score
Hi all i got a timing set up on my 69 satellite that has the timing marks on the passenger side. the original part number is 2946797. i was wondering is it any easier to swap the timing marks to the driver side and what would i need to do

also to add its a stock 318 engine with ac and power steering.

Take the #1 plug out, put your finger over the hole and turn the engine over, BY HAND, until you feel compression. Carefully, using a long phillips screwdriver, once again turn the engine BY HAND, and get the piston to its highest point (be careful not to jam the screwdriver on this step), then mark the balance for TDC with the late timing cover.

edit: I guess I am used to people mix-matching parts. We need more info: Early/Late balancer, Early/Late timing cover??

Last edited:
Can be done if you can see the harmonic balancer. Hand rotate engine until it's TDC and timing marks are lined up at 0°. The marke passenger side cover w some kind of highly visible marker/paint and apply a timing tape to balancer w 0° lining up w your mark. You'll be reading it w the marks coming from the top instead of from below.

Auto Transport Service
Back