• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing marks on cam sprocket

So I got some clarification on the offset timing marks from Herbs Parts here in Delaware. He had 2 440s side by side that I could look at in various forms of teardown. You were right when you told me to rotate the crank 1 full turn to align the marks. I did try that and it worked well. I also learned that Mother Mopar also took into consideration fools like me would be messing around so they put an embossed pointer on the top of the block so you can align the cam sprocket, Who knew?, Certainly not me. Of course you have to rewire your distributor 180, the point is either way will work. Thanks for your help guys , I appreciate all your knowledge.

easiest to get to TDC on the compression stroke before removing timing or distributor thumb on the sparkplug hole @1 works or you can watch the valve motion
problem is that TDC compression and TDC exhaust/intake look almost the same when the crank is not turning - so watch the motion watch the exhaust close and intake open then go to the next TDC now change your timing set- move the dampener to 15 degrees BTDC (whatever)- (go around almost twice and sneak up on your static timing point and drop in the distributor- get number 1 plug wire in the right place then turn the dist toward the firing point (or point break) lock down the dist and it should fire right up
I can remember (here goes) on my paper route in 7th grade some neighbor high school guys were trying to push start an early olds in a40 ford
lots of backfires and fire out the three duces
so I stop- pop the hood- check the firing order off the manifold and SURPRISE- they had it backward - had them push it fwd with the Cad/ Lasalle trans in third and showed them which way the distributor turned in a Olds ( I did not know but knew how to figure it out)- got it to just B4 number 1 with the method above except set by point break - hit the starter and all of a sudden I was welcome to hang with the seniors what was I 12 years old The also had the dist 180 degrees out with the wires backward- no hope from them-all I can think of now was a flathead must be way different than an olds or perhaps they had some chevy experience- both lead young men ashtray.

Auto Transport Service
Back