• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todays crappy carb cleaner

68Moparmaniac

Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
In the process of rebuilding the carb on the Power Wagon. Went to Autozone and picked up a fresh can of Berrymans carb cleaner...what a waste of 30 bucks. Put some parts in for an hour, still had carbon and drool deposits everywhere. I remember when you could buy carb cleaner and the soak wasn't more than 30 minutes, everything came out spotless. Todays ****...not so much.
Figured I'd put the Ultrasonic to work....
Wasted 30 bucks that could have went towards something beneficial...like beer :drinks:

USCleaner.jpg

In the process of rebuilding the carb on the Power Wagon. Went to Autozone and picked up a fresh can of Berrymans carb cleaner...what a waste of 30 bucks. Put some parts in for an hour, still had carbon and drool deposits everywhere. I remember when you could buy carb cleaner and the soak wasn't more than 30 minutes, everything came out spotless. Todays ****...not so much.
Figured I'd put the Ultrasonic to work....
Wasted 30 bucks that could have went towards something beneficial...like beer :drinks:

View attachment 1025300
Nice big ultrasonic. What do you use in it?

You were able to kill bees with one shot years ago. Now you have to spray a whole can just to give yourself enough time to run away before they shake it off and come at you... It's garbage.

Nice big ultrasonic. What do you use in it?

Boraxo / water most of the time but I thought I'd try some of this Ultrasonic concentrated cleaner that came with the machine... so far works really good. Parts are spotless, coming out of the tank around 160 degrees F.

Boraxo / water most of the time but I thought I'd try some of this Ultrasonic concentrated cleaner that came with the machine... so far works really good. Parts are spotless, coming out of the tank around 160 degrees F.
I have used a 10/1 mix of Simple Green but it leaves the carbs black. They have a different mix (Simple Green D) that isn't supposed to discolor the aluminum. Borax, I'll have to try that. Thanks.

My dad bought a 5 gallon can of Berrymans about 30 years ago. It’s still awesome! We had to transfer it to a plastic bucket because the metal one rusted. We just occasionally filter the crap out while transferring it to another bucket. All the additives that were in cleaners that made them work are long gone. Probably California’s fault :poke:

I have used a 10/1 mix of Simple Green but it leaves the carbs black. They have a different mix (Simple Green D) that isn't supposed to discolor the aluminum. Borax, I'll have to try that. Thanks.
carb 1.jpg
carb 2.jpg

Years ago an hour was plenty to clean a carb but, since they removed the ( I think) acid that did the work I leave them submerged for 24 hours and go right to the solvent tank to manually brush off the soot with solvent rinse. I used to do at least one carb rebuild a week. Now it's like 2 a year.
Mike

The trick with the "EPA-friendly" carb cleaner is....don't let the carb get so dirty:p
Then it works fine!

That carb looks great. Is that CO-Z ultrasonic cleaner the 2L model?

Auto Transport Service
Back