• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trailer Hitches???

0DegreeEngineer

Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
Who has one on their car?
Why did you install it/was it already installed?
Would you recommend it?

Has me curious from what I saw at mopars in the park in 2023.
20230603_100313.jpg

Was thinking about pulling a small camper with the car.

As I've said before, certain Dakota and f-150 receivers have the same frame rail spacing as 66-70 B body cars. Some grinding may be necessary.

The detail is to figure out the design vs inside or outside frame mount and which way the flange is oriented.

...then deal with the actual mounting with respect to the somewhat thin unibody rails and access to inside them.

The only hitch I've put on a car was my wife's daily driver a few years back to carry a bicycle rack. It worked well. I don't see any problem towing a light trailer. You would want to pay attention to hitch weight in addition to total weight.

I believe this was a Chrysler promotional picture from back in the day. Although they didn’t offer the receiver as a factory option, they seemed to encourage towing.
I find the thought of trying to tow an Airsteam with a Challenger to be terrifying!

IMG_0141.jpeg

We have been in the trailer business(Boulder City Trailers) over 30+ years.

I would not sell a 5000+ trailer to anyone who was towing it with a B or A Body.

Back in the day station wagons were the preferred tow vehicles for everything.

Aw c'mon, they'd been doin' it for years already...........

Ju got some 'splaining to do?

54 (?) Merc with a 162 hp rating, (maybe 125 really.... maybe) pulling a 7000lb trailer, uphill, with maybe another couple thousand pound of Lucy's rocks inside.
Sure, why wouldn't that work?

My parents had a hitch on the 69 fury wagon. Hauled a camping trailer through the rockys one summer.
When I was replacing the truck in my 69 charger I drilled several holes in the frame and on the inside I welded a plate and large nut just to have the option to put a hitch on for some reason

Here's a hitch installed on my 74 Charger that was on it when I bought it. I wouldn't tow anything weighing more than 1000 lbs with it. No thanks.
Terry W.

Bumper Hitch 4.jpg

Bumper Hitch 3.jpg

My GTX was used as a tow vehicle by the original owner, hauling his glider across the state when he wasn't launching from the local glider port. Dealer installed package, pictures below from the brochure the dealership distributed in 1969. Recommended weight was a ton with a B body.

IMG_0555.jpeg

IMG_0553.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's a hitch installed on my 74 Charger that was on it when I bought it. I wouldn't tow anything weighing more than 1000 lbs with it. No thanks.
Had one for a 1970 Dodge Dart stamped on it. Looked similar to yours. Sold it to a A body guy.
Factory ? Not sure.
Also my 63 Belvedere had one on it when I bought it. Looked home made with heavy angle iron from frame rail to frame rail and straps to bumper bolts like your Charger.

Last edited:
Terry W.

View attachment 1737617
Looks like what was on my 1971 Charger also when I bought it. Still have the holes in the bumper. I used the passenger side hole for the battery cut off push/pull rod.
The 1969 Coronet R/T Convertible also had a trailer hitch welded to the frame rails!

My red 70' Charger had a trailer hitch on it at one time by evidence of holes in the bumper and frame. I have been looking for another one. It mounted just like this one of a picture I found online of a Charger with a hitch.

images.jpeg

My road runner had one when I got it. It was welded to the frame, not attached to the bumper at all. I had to cut it off to take the tank out, and never put it back on.

Watch Chris Birdsong on YouTube. He has a General Lee 69 charger and regularly hauls b bodies from North Dakota back to his place in Vegas. :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back