• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny Fluid question

bob32268

Local time
10:34 PM
Reaction score
Does the 727 Tranny (69 Charger) use Dexron ATF or another type ?
Tks,
Bob32268

Detroit III is what I use.

Can't wait to hear the replies I think are coming. :lol:

Type of fluid- any, except type F. They do just fine on the on-sale Wally World or whatever.
Caitlyn?

From the source

EF909970-92A4-4574-9F44-561372B0005F.png

Type of fluid- any, except type F. They do just fine on the on-sale Wally World or whatever.
Caitlyn?
Thanks much, i have some Dexron in my garage from a GM auto tranny car, just wanted to make sure it was OK for a MOPAR.
Tks,
Bob32268

What's wrong with type F? It's what I'm using. Gives a firmer shift if that's what you like.
After 59 years of doing 727s I have found that F was developed for Furd transmissions and works for the Furd because it has a friction modifier and that helped Furd to combat clutch slippage. F is a bit short on lubrication properties. Any type A will work just fine and has the better lube properties.
But I'm kinda new to this and willing to learn.

I used type F in mine for years..I only switched to dextron because after two different trans guys i still have a front seal leak and it is easier to find dextron than type F. Makes me want a 4 spd!!

Type F is hard on the inners so I was told more that once..but it works

The 727 is not picky on fluid. I prefer the newer ATF+4, but Dextron works fine.
Type F does not lube as well, but shifts harder, and seems harder in the transmission.
If I want firmer shifts, TransGo 2 shift kit and Dextron (or ATF+4).

I've used type F in my 727s with rmvb for decades, and in my turbo 400s and powerglides with brakes, too.
Stock trannies get whatever stock fluid is required

Chrysler Power article back in the 1980's with Marv Booth said he used Type F with a quart of 30 weight non-detergent motor oil for better lubrication.
I might have tried that back in the day, but don't recall it really made a difference?

I run Type F as recommended by a well known Mopar trans builder, zero issues…

Caitlyn?
B.S. , been running type F for around 50 yrs. , ran it in a hemi super stocker for 14 yrs. , never had problem with it , have it in my 505'' 68 fastback now , been in it for about 12ish yrs ...
Tom Hoover was asked this question at a drag seminar in OKC way back , he recommended type F ....

do you even know who Tom Hoover was ??

Regardless of what they say, don’t use bud light…. In fact, don’t drink the **** either!
I’ve been using atf+4 and it seems to shift the gears like it should.

B.S. , been running type F for around 50 yrs. , ran it in a hemi super stocker for 14 yrs. , never had problem with it , have it in my 505'' 68 fastback now , been in it for about 12ish yrs ...
Tom Hoover was asked this question at a drag seminar in OKC way back , he recommended type F ....

do you even know who Tom Hoover was ??
SHURE!!!!! Didn't he build a dam????:rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back