• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission wouldn't upshift after running for awhile

revmaster

Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
My car sat for quite awhile I took it for a drive it's an automatic 69 GTX . After driving it city and highway engine was getting warm and wouldn't shift to like 3rd gear after about 40 miles driving Could take off slow but wouldn't go to 3rd. How I know it's hot is the needle wasn't in the hot zone but it was on the line and engine idle wanted to stall. I checked the transmission fluid but not while running but level was at the add 1 pint . After engine was off level was past full. Never added any . Anyone know could it be from just from sitting. It ran good last time .only thing I did was rebuilt the carb .

Fluid level is checked running, when warm and in neutral. Most of the time when checking with engine not running it will be way over the full mark.

Since you rebuilt the carb, did you put the kick down linkage back on properly. That effects upshifts and kick down.

Since you rebuilt the carb, did you put the kick down linkage back on properly. That effects upshifts and kick down.
I will check that. Thank you. When I drove it out had it in drive and kind of rolled back in gear too when let go of the brake .I was on a slant backing out. Then it drove normal . Had lots of power after new rebuild kit. . Seemed to really respond when hit the pedal that's when sitting in the garage after new rebuild kit. But when I was on the road. Didn't have it .

Fluid level is checked running, when warm and in neutral. Most of the time when checking with engine not running it will be way over the full mark.
I'll check that today. Thank you .

Auto Transport Service
Back