• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Mopar Muscle

This video is from a local PBA car show in 2011.
[video=youtube_share;FTxnbrv9rr0]http://youtu.be/FTxnbrv9rr0[/video]

Mopar Missile Crew Brain Trust: L To R: Tom Coddington, Ted Spehar, Joe Pappas, Dick Oldfield, Al Adam And Ron Killen. What A Mopar Engineering Crew! And Peeking Out From Behind These Guys--One Of The Baddest Mopars In The Land--Don Carlton's Motown Missile Dodge Challenger! Truly, Extra Care In Engineering!

I could talk to these guys all day long,and I did!!:headbang:

Spent the afternoon at the seminars under the tent at Carlisle last year.To have all the Ramchargers tell thier stories was FANTASTIC!!!The guest MC was Herb McCandless:notworthy:

- - - Updated - - -

A rare appearence by Mr. Buddy Martin!:notworthy::notworthy:

Attachments

• IMG_3747.jpg
    IMG_3747.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,435
  • IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,423
  • IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3741.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,415
  • IMG_3751.jpg
    IMG_3751.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,438
  • IMG_3745.jpg
    IMG_3745.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,429
  • IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3756.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,432
  • IMG_3764.jpg
    IMG_3764.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,434
  • IMG_3757.jpg
    IMG_3757.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,438
So, what's the story on this 63 wagon currently offered for sale on Moparts dot com?

"...1963 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon drag car.

Originaly built in 1971 and raced super stock/ bracket car. Division 5, car was named the "War Wagon" still wears period correct paint that has held up up very well over the years (garage kept) but also carries the nostalgic patina look..."

SuperFly TNT

I Would Venture To Say That It Is The One In The You Tube Video Posted On This Thread! But Not Sure If It Is The Original 1963 War Wagon! If Somebody Gets To Clifton, New Jersey And Goes By Pete Tritak's Shop..Stop In And Ask Him! He Would Know For Sure!

So, what's the story on this 63 wagon currently offered for sale on Moparts dot com?

"...1963 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon drag car.

Originaly built in 1971 and raced super stock/ bracket car. Division 5, car was named the "War Wagon" still wears period correct paint that has held up up very well over the years (garage kept) but also carries the nostalgic patina look..."

SuperFly TNT

The Original War Wagon is the one I posted above. All Aluminum nose car with lightweight bumpers/ brackets etc and has all the documentation to go with it from Tri Tak and Morgan. I don't know anything about the one posted for sale on moparts.com. Says it was built in 1971 which is much later. Here's a quick video of the original winning its class in the 1969 US Nationals! Check it out at 1:23!
[video=youtube_share;fIp0EMa-mt8]http://youtu.be/fIp0EMa-mt8[/video]

Lots of cars from the Jersey area. Lets see some cars featured on here that no one has ever seen. The little unknown guys need some ink----- NOW !

Looking back at these old super stockers never gets old. I've always wanted to own one of the original cars again and kick myself for selling the original Boccanfuso Bros. 64' Belvedere "The Fugitive", a regular at Island Dragway in Jersey. Getting back to my prior post;

This 63' Wagon has to be one of my all time favorites. I watched this car run many times and remember it at my home track, Dover Drag Strip in NY. I have a question about the car in the photo. Is this the original 63' ran by Tritak & Morgan, or is this the old Jerry Stein "Blast From The Past" 63' Belvedere car. I see that this car has many of Jerry's suttle changes.

I saw this car for sale in 2003 and with my phone call I was told the car had been sold. One of the guys in my car club was having his 63' Fury built at Jerry Stein's shop. I spoke with Jerry for awhile at Atco where he was racing two of his cars. The #1916 A/SA "Teacher's Pet" car was a 64' Bel. and #1716 A/SA "Teacher's Pet" car was a 64' Bel. with a 63' nose. The nose of this 63' was different and showed me the 64' hood with chrome trim, and the 64' headlight door upper trim cut and added to the 63' fender above the headlight door, it was a cool look for a 63'.

I never asked him about the 63' wagon but from photos I know it had the same Jerry Stein treatment, 64' hood with trim and the 64' upper headlight door trim cut and added. When I see these current photos of the "War Wagon" I see the same treatment to the hood and fenders plus the Jerry Stein decal on the intake manifold. All original photos I have of the "War Wagon" & "Tritak & Morgan" wagon are pure 63' nose. Even one photo with maybe a replaced nose.

A long story for a simple question, is the current "War Wagon" the former "Blast From The Past" car?

JS7.jpgJS5.jpgJS4.jpgJS6.jpgJS1.jpgJS2.jpgWW1.jpg

Nick Tiberio
FuryUs63

JS7.jpg JS5.jpg JS4.jpg JS6.jpg JS1.jpg JS2.jpg WW1.jpg

****** BRILLIANT THREAD ******
Nice one guys and thank you everyone for sharing comments / photo's. Love the OLD SKOOL history.
I had the pleasure of meeting Al Eckstrand ( Lawman ) at the 2004 Mopar Nationals, Santa Pod, England ( the Mopar Nationals, Santa Pod is the biggest meeting of Mopars outside the USA ). I was there with my 69' Coronet and we stood a spoke for well over a hour in which Al talked alot of the tricks he use to get Dodge to do to his cars etc plus he quoted that he was very impressed with the Coronet and the amount of work that i had put into it and invested in such alot of fibre panels in make it a super light weight Coronet. The Coronet weighed in at 2709 Lbs when it was base lined at Webster race Engineering, Rushden, Northamptonshire, England. ( Jon Webster broke the European Top Fuel record for doing the first under 5 seconds, over 300 mph pass while at Santa Pod ).

RIP the " LAWMAN " Al Ackstrand.

Looking back at these old super stockers never gets old. I've always wanted to own one of the original cars again and kick myself for selling the original Boccanfuso Bros. 64' Belvedere "The Fugitive", a regular at Island Dragway in Jersey. Getting back to my prior post;

This 63' Wagon has to be one of my all time favorites. I watched this car run many times and remember it at my home track, Dover Drag Strip in NY. I have a question about the car in the photo. Is this the original 63' ran by Tritak & Morgan, or is this the old Jerry Stein "Blast From The Past" 63' Belvedere car. I see that this car has many of Jerry's suttle changes.

I saw this car for sale in 2003 and with my phone call I was told the car had been sold. One of the guys in my car club was having his 63' Fury built at Jerry Stein's shop. I spoke with Jerry for awhile at Atco where he was racing two of his cars. The #1916 A/SA "Teacher's Pet" car was a 64' Bel. and #1716 A/SA "Teacher's Pet" car was a 64' Bel. with a 63' nose. The nose of this 63' was different and showed me the 64' hood with chrome trim, and the 64' headlight door upper trim cut and added to the 63' fender above the headlight door, it was a cool look for a 63'.

I never asked him about the 63' wagon but from photos I know it had the same Jerry Stein treatment, 64' hood with trim and the 64' upper headlight door trim cut and added. When I see these current photos of the "War Wagon" I see the same treatment to the hood and fenders plus the Jerry Stein decal on the intake manifold. All original photos I have of the "War Wagon" & "Tritak & Morgan" wagon are pure 63' nose. Even one photo with maybe a replaced nose.

A long story for a simple question, is the current "War Wagon" the former "Blast From The Past" car?

View attachment 105098View attachment 105099View attachment 105100View attachment 105101View attachment 105102View attachment 105103View attachment 105104

Nick Tiberio
FuryUs63

Anybody???

Here is mine

Great little story, I'll have to do more research on the "war wagon". What I wouldn't do for an aluminum front end.

This car was raced in Illinois back in the late "60's". This is how the car appeared in 1965 and is STILL looking like this today.
The original 426 wedge was race built and later blown up after it was built by Larry Teter. L. Teter was an NHRA champ and he was known for building race engines for cars and boats The twin engine built also by Larry is still in the car today.
I posted a request for info about the car on the internet and believe it or not got a hit.
Finally got to talk to the guy who bought this car brand new.The stories that guy told me about the car was priceless
Also found out that a close friend of his built a custom set of headers for the car. That friend ultimately moved to California and opened his own shop which is now known as "Doug's Headers"

Fender tag 069 - resized.jpg Fender tag 068.jpg

I just Love these cars.....Remember when mail order was out of the mags.....first engine I did the machine work and built....slid in a RamChargers cam kit...280 500 ran mid 12's street car back in 1975 fremont Ca in my 68 RR 4speed hooked ever since....yahooooo

Saw that 65 last summer on Kijiji, for sale. Would have bought it but picked one up a month earlier, nice ride

I worked at Shively Motors in 1964 and it was always a pleasure to hear Bud and his mechanic tuning the "Honker" getting ready for a weekend of kicking Chevy a%*! He used to run at Mason-Dixon Drag way and York Drag way, among others. I love the old pictures and remember the big engine monsters of that era. Every time I look at my 66 Coronet, I think of Bud and those good ol' days!

I worked at Shively Motors in 1964 and it was always a pleasure to hear Bud and his mechanic tuning the "Honker" getting ready for a weekend of kicking Chevy a%*! He used to run at Mason-Dixon Drag way and York Drag way, among others. I love the old pictures and remember the big engine monsters of that era. Every time I look at my 66 Coronet, I think of Bud and those good ol' days!

Bud Is A True Class Act! Nicer Man You Will Not Find!

Thanks everyone ,these pics are awsome,a trip back in time.

I grew up when those cars were just hitting the streets. A guy we all knew bought a 63 Max Wedge Dodge. Bright red with the poverty hubcaps. He kicked more Chevys and Fords asses than any other car in town. Then I started to follow their progress at the local and national tracks. I remember all of those awesome Mopars and the records that they still hold today. Glad I have a wagon. It may never be a Max Wedge or even a big block, but it will be nice. Mopar or no car!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back