• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walking and health.: How many steps?

I would walk more and could lose some weight if my feet and knees felt better. My feet and knees would feel better if I would walk more and lose some weight. It's a vicious circle!
You should cycle a bit. You'll lose weight and improve your knees. Nothing crazy, just say 5 miles 3 times a week.

I used to park my truck as far from the entrance of a truck stop as possible. One to get exercise... two for some quiet so I could sleep in peace.

When I was flat bedding I got plenty of exercise lifting 100# tarps and tarping machinery, lumber etc. plus crawling around chaining, strapping and securing my loads.

Then there's the 30+ years I hauled meat, produce and other food products. Virtually every load was a floor load...driver load driver unload.

You did it all and it went on the floor. When you got to the receiving dock you picked up every box and put it on a pallet by yourself.

900 cases of lettuce... 450 100# boxes of frozen meat... 300 130# sacks of coffee beans. Swinging beef hanging from the trailer ceiling. I busted my *** only to have my Doctor tell me that really wasn't excersice.

Really?

So, now after two knee replacements, three shoulder replacements, five herniated discs, degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my spine I get give a big FU to exercise.

Today my workouts include bending over to put on socks and climbing into a semi cab a few days per week so I can still eat and pay my bills.

Last edited:
I used to park my truck as far from the entrance of a truck stop as possible. One to get exercise... two for some quiet so I could sleep in peace.

When I was flat bedding I got plenty of exercise lifting 100# tarps and tarping machinery, lumber etc. plus crawling around chaining, strapping and securing my loads.

Then there's the 30+ years I hauled meat, produce and other food products. Virtually every load was a floor load...driver load driver unload.

You did it all and it went on the floor. When you got to the receiving dock you picked up every box and put it on a pallet by yourself.

900 cases of lettuce... 450 100# boxes of frozen meat... 300 130# sacks of coffee beans. Swinging beef hanging from the trailer ceiling. I busted my *** only to have my Doctor tell me that really wasn't excersice

Really?
I did the same stuff, and had the opposite discussion with my doctor of 15 years. She said said I had many horrible lifestyle habits, but the work was obviously good for me, based on my numbers, which were better than 95% of her patients. The fact that you can still drive at your age is an indicator you got some benefit as well. I was more fortunate than many in not having structural issues in later life.

Last edited:
So, now after two knee replacements, three shoulder replacements, five herniated discs, degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my spine I get give a big FU to exercise.

It all in how you do it. I had a buddy that was told advised to run and lift weights. Within a few months he needed knee surgery and a hernia operation. It didn't have to go that way.

The subject of this thread is right on target - walking is a great, low impact way for people to stay fit. Just watch for traffic!

It all in how you do it. I had a buddy that was told advised to run and lift weights. Within a few months he needed knee surgery and a hernia operation. It didn't have to go that way.

The subject of this thread is right on target - walking is a great, low impact way for people to stay fit. Just watch for traffic!
This is consistent with my previous post. At 70, I've never had a joint replacement, or a back problem. I always paced myself, and I did okay in the genetic dice roll. Twenty years in the office, and 25 on the truck also helped spread things out. I've lifted weights since I was 19, but cut back from competitive power lifting, to moderate maintenance, in my 30s. Walking hasn't been my optimum maintenance option in later years, with late effects of early polio coming into play. I've started playing wheelchair pickle ball for moderate cardio, use forearm crutches to minimize leg fatigue, stay as active as reasonable for my situation. I still walk three miles a day at Carlisle, won't use a scooter. I have a friend who walks two miles a day with forearm crutches, at age 77, still in awesome shape. Idea of using mobility aids to increase activity level, rather than as a last resort, seems to be an alien concept to most people. My doctor is pleased with the results.

Auto Transport Service
Back