• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird electrical problems

picard767

Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
I am posting this to help other Mopar owners.
My 1969 GTX was having intermittent starting problems, charging sometimes, and engine cutoff at idle when turning on headlights.
Turned out to be a bad bulkhead connector. The "P" connector (male) was too short (molded in that way when manufactured). It carries current from the alternator and wasn't making solid connection. Ergo, a high resistance (or sometimes open) connection.
Removed the molded in connector, terminated a new one, then pushed it into the holder to get the same length as the other 7 males.
Then, ran a shunt wire from the alternator to the battery post on the starter relay with a fusible link on each end.
Finally added a voltage gauge since the ammeter no longer gets much current through it due to the shunt.
Everything works perfectly now.
Hope this helps someone!!!

Great advise, for a common problem! :frustrated: Had this very same problem with my 70 Runner, thirty years ago. I`m sure this thread will be of use. :urkidding:

Auto Transport Service
Back