• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what are you using for a basic electric fan?

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
So I'm not running a super hi-po motor or anything like that. It's a simple 360 in my 65 Belvedere wagon daily driver. Aluminum intake, 4 barrel, headers and duals. Lower compression late 70s truck motor. It runs great but sometimes the gauge will creep up in traffic in the hot weather. Nothing major. I am just looking for a little extra oomf. I'm still using factory wiring and electronics (alt, coil, ballast etc.). What's a decent low amp fan I can mount in front of the radiator? Probably a 16" would work.

Have you already done the normal things, like flush the radiator, check for blockages, and replace coolant. If this is an original radiator, cleaning and checking can be done at a good radiator shop. Sometimes an electric fan is just a bandaid.

Have you already done the normal things, like flush the radiator, check for blockages, and replace coolant. If this is an original radiator, cleaning and checking can be done at a good radiator shop. Sometimes an electric fan is just a bandaid.
It's all been done. Rad has been flushed and pressure tested. System has been flushed and tested also. All done by an old radiator shop in Rhode Island. It's all good. I'm looking at a fan as more of insurance rather than it being needed. The car runs great. Again it's usually in the hot and humid summer days and it's not really a big issue.

If you don't currently have a good thermo fan and shroud, you should look into that before buying a pusher fan. What about the core support seal to the hood? Is that in place? You didn't mention if you have a serpentine belt system. If so, you probably are underdriving your water pump. Sometimes it is the simplest things causing your woes. IMO, a pusher fan would be the last resort since they block air flow as much as the push.

Ignition timing can play an important part as well. What are your current settings?

Ok now that we got all that out of the way. What's a good low amp 16" electric fan?

Sounds like you have your mind made up to go with pusher fan. Spahl makes a bunch of good ones. Jegs or Summit can fix you up with what ever size you want. Any 16" electric fan will draw between 15 & 20 amps and want a 30A load at startup unless you have a controller that ramps up the speed as needed.
Good luck

Ford contour fans have a very good reputation.
Pretty sure they are a twin fan that can be controlled separately.
May not fit a 22" radiator, probably will fit a 26.

I had an 18" electric puller on my tina, along with an electric water pump, a ten inch pusher to go with the 16" puller flex fan (to cool between rounds) on my 62, and two 14" puller fans on my Opel. Opel has a crew cab dually radiator, but on so much slant that a mechanical fan won't work.
I have no idea what the original application was for any of them, they were all junkyard salvage purchases.

Auto Transport Service
Back