• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to 68-69 chargers ?!

If you know body work and can handle the task, its worth it. Not kidding.
I know it’s worth it but ThTs the thing I don’t
I tried doing some small welding for the 4 speed conversion and survived that but I don’t think I could handle something that intense without the equipment and some guidance

I love these cars.

View attachment 1137879

In 2000 when I bought the red one, my plans were to pull the front end and swap on a 1969 front clip. The '70 grille was so nice though. No cracks, no defects at all. It wasn't long before I started to appreciate the design. I know that some prefer the other years but I don't care.

View attachment 1137880

That open design looks better to me than the 1969 version. I thought that if I ever got another Charger, I'd get a '68 for the taillights and grille.

The ratty car that I named Jigsaw....

View attachment 1137881

In a sane world would have just been a $500 car for the way that it looked when I dragged it out.

View attachment 1137882

Bent frame rails and aprons, torn core support...

View attachment 1137883 View attachment 1137884 View attachment 1137885

This car was bought for $250 in 1995. I paid $5000 in 2019.
Now it runs and drives after replacing the entire front structure, rebuilding the original 383, adding front disc brakes and a 3.91 geared 8 3/4" axle.
I wonder what it could sell for today?
It is not an R/T, it is actually the lowest trim level that they made in 1970, the "XH" model.
I'd bet it would still sell for $20,000 or more and be sold within a week.
I'm not selling though.

Sorry, Charger fans!

View attachment 1137886

i watched the thread on that car. You did a nice job. I’m into my first mopar and those kind of threads helped me learn a lot about how they are built. I like your 5 speed thread too. Definitely on the want list!

i watched the thread on that car. You did a nice job. I’m into my first mopar and those kind of threads helped me learn a lot about how they are built. I like your 5 speed thread too. Definitely on the want list!
Yeah he’s got some cool cars !!

It's the price range you are viewing. '68-'69 Chargers are hot on today's market. Thus the junk ones are fetching decent monies. For something you would like? Double your search price.
Naa just wait and look for good ones.

One of the reasons I like driving my car so much is I can't see its ugly grill whilst doing so.
If I drive it all day & don't look while fueling up I can get away with only looking at it once or twice.:D
366DED8F-E6FA-49A1-B621-080647F2DE93.jpeg

the 66,67 You can find decent examples of those complete and running

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lmao where are you finding all of these "complete and running 66-67 Chargers" for cheap? They made 20x more 68-69's than 66-67's, and 95% of the time when I see those them they are rotted out and in need of a complete restoration and body work. And the other 5% of the time they are either '66 Poly 318 automatic turds for $15k or Hemi 4 speed Dana cars for $100k.

And if you really think they are Ugly than you should go to a car show with a couple like Carlisle. They look 100x better in person than in pictures because cameras have a hard time getting all of the body lines and right angles.

If you find a cheap 383 or 440 car buy it. They're fun cars.
A little bit of rake and different wheels goes a long way!

Last edited:
20190614_064141.jpg

I saw this beauty on my way into Manhattan one day. Think it was last summer. No, had to be the summer before, covid had the roads empty last year. Damn skippy, she was a looker. I thought it kind of ballsy of him to be on the LIE during rush hour. It did make me wish I was driving mine though!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lmao where are you finding all of these "complete and running 66-67 Chargers" for cheap? They made 20x more 68-69's than 66-67's, and 95% of the time when I see those them they are rotted out and in need of a complete restoration and body work. And the other 5% of the time they are either '66 Poly 318 automatic turds for $15k or Hemi 4 speed Dana cars for $100k.

And if you really think they are Ugly than you should go to a car show with a couple like Carlisle. They look 100x better in person than in pictures because cameras have a hard time getting all of the body lines and right angles.

If you find a cheap 383 or 440 car buy it. They're fun cars.
A little bit of rake and different wheels goes a long way!

Back in the mid 90s I was back home in SW Ga and meet a few Mopar guys near Albany I did not know. One guy had a pasture full of 66-7 Charger projects, and parts cars, I showed me his two "done" ones.. one was a 66 383 Charger, his pride and joy, the other a real 68 Hemi Charger. Both beautiful cars His favorite was that 66!!!383 Charger!!!!NOT that 68 Hemi!!!!
I admit the 2 nd gen are beautiful cars, but to me the 1 st gen is the more interesting. Not talking $$$ here for sure!!!!
I have had 3-4 1st gen Chargers and maybe 10 2 nd gens before these cars were worth $$$$. I love that 1 st gen car!!!!
OK so I am old and weird. We have a 62 Dart330 and the wife claims the 62 Lancer RoadToad!!!!!! Among others.

This morning a fellow in Alberta put an ad on Kijiji. He was selling his Grandpa`s Charger, didn’t know the year. Pictures of it being loaded on the trailer. Exterior looked complete. It is a 69. It had been posted for 15 minutes. Asking price 5000.00 Canadian. Ad was gone in about half an hour.
Appears that deals are out there.

I know it’s worth it but ThTs the thing I don’t
I tried doing some small welding for the 4 speed conversion and survived that but I don’t think I could handle something that intense without the equipment and some guidance
You're a good candidate for skills/labor trade. In your car buddy collection, see if someone is down for some trading. My good friend John and I used to do that quite a bit. He was a retired contractor so he would do stuff for me that I would otherwise butcher and I reciprocated for him on his 68 C20. Also a lot of the skills are learned by doing, sometimes with guidance.

This morning a fellow in Alberta put an ad on Kijiji. He was selling his Grandpa`s Charger, didn’t know the year. Pictures of it being loaded on the trailer. Exterior looked complete. It is a 69. It had been posted for 15 minutes. Asking price 5000.00 Canadian. Ad was gone in about half an hour.
Appears that deals are out there.

Maybe he was smart enough to pull it and ask for more after his phone exploded!!!

It's almost to the point of reskinning 4 door B-bodies into Chargers. I think it would be possible.

It's almost to the point of reskinning 4 door B-bodies into Chargers. I think it would be possible.
Someone already reskined a '68 Coronet convertible and made it into a one-of-none '70 Charger R/T convertible. Looked correct too.

A 68-70 Charger is just about the greatest looking Vehicle man has ever made. I even hear die hard Chevy dicks drool over them. They have just gotten to damn popular. That makes the price skyrocket.

Auto Transport Service
Back