• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What have you broken while out hot rodding your car?

I wasn't driving my car, but pulling the car in my enclosed trailer a couple of weeks ago on the way home from the track. Broke an axle on a rural two lane highway in the Middle of nowhere. No shoulders to get even close to off the road. The saga begins at 9:15pm. First tow company I called said they had nothing suitable to carry the trailer until the next day. Second company didn't think it was an issue. Sent out a regular flat bed. That took nearly an hour for them to show up. Once there realized that my trailer would not fit so called for another truck. Second truck shows up at 11:30pm. This one is obviously big enough to carry the trailer, but with the broken axle, we could not back it onto the truck. Unloaded the car from the trailer, and removed the wheel. Now enough ground clearance under the axle to move the trailer. Get it loaded onto the big flatbed, the car goes onto the other flat bed. Finally pull out at 1am. The street I live on is a dead end road that is only one lane wide. The big truck will not be able to make it. We decide to unload in a grocery store parking lot about 10 minutes from the house. Enough ground clearance to pull the trailer SLOWLY. My wife following behind me in the car. Pull down my street at 2:30am. The car is LOUD. I am sure we woke a few neighbors. That was a LONG night and an expensive tow.
View attachment 1738605
Been there done that recently! Broke a trailer axle. Wheel, tire electric brake drum, and busted stub of the axle disappeared into the dark, at 3: 30 a.m. Never found it. Over the next couple days, ended up with the car I was carrying where I didn't want it, the trailer where I didn't want it, and the tow vehicle in a state where it wasn't allowed. Long story.

Auto Transport Service
Back