• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's it Worth What is a fair price for a 1968 and/or 1970 383?

69SportSatellite

Local time
7:18 AM
Reaction score
I acquired both of these 383's several years ago, but no longer need them. I would like to part with them and want to be very fair to the next owner. The blue one on the right is a 1968 290HP 2V from a Monaco. The original owner stored it for several years before I acquired it. The orange one on the left is a 1970 383 4V, unsure of the vehicle it came from. I am not a skilled mechanic and can't really determine what condition they are in. But, they need to go ... what would be a fair price?

Thank you!

383 1 of 2.jpg

383 2 of 2.jpg

If you really wanted to be fair, find a buyer and negotiate a price. Or if you need them gone bad enough, give them away! With that said, most guys pull the 383 and replace with a440, unless they are doing a restoration, and in that case, the 2 barrel version will be hard to sell unless the buyer is doing a rebuild and doesn't care about numbers. Anyway, good luck selling. ruffcut

I think the price is somewhat dependent on if they are seized or not.
They both have lifting plates which is a bonus.
Maybe $500 if they rotate.
I don't know how many people would be interested in both.

Pictures of the VIN info on the pad above the oil pan rail would be appreciated.

Unfortunately post #5 is the correct answer. Hopefully, you have two good blocks there, and two good steel cranks.....it all goes downhill from there.....maybe good rods. The reality is that they made WAY more 383's than any other big block, period. They are still lurking everywhere, and almost nobody wants one. Sad really, especially if youd had the pleasure to experience a hopped up one.

I am a member of the Capital City Mopars car club. We meet on the first Tuesday of every month at the California Auto Museum on Front Street in Sacramento. There may be some interest in the engines to someone in our club.
I will admit though, the 383 is a great engine but people do just default to the 400 for a stroke build or a 440. The only reason that I built a 383 for my Jigsaw Charger was because it was the original engine. It costs the same to build a 383 as a 440 so why not go for the bigger engine?
I can put the word out to a few buddies about these.
My opinion, the engines may be okay to run as-is but you might need to assume that buyers will look at them as cores. The 2 barrel 383s had really mild cams and less than 9.5 to 1 compression.
I'd like to help you establish a value but I'd only be guessing.
A complete engine at Pick-N-Pull is just under $200 but classic car engines are really hard to find there. My best guess is no more than $300 each.
The 383 fits better in the A body line so those guys may have more interest than B body guys.

I am a member of the Capital City Mopars car club. We meet on the first Tuesday of every month at the California Auto Museum on Front Street in Sacramento. There may be some interest in the engines to someone in our club.
I will admit though, the 383 is a great engine but people do just default to the 400 for a stroke build or a 440. The only reason that I built a 383 for my Jigsaw Charger was because it was the original engine. It costs the same to build a 383 as a 440 so why not go for the bigger engine?
I can put the word out to a few buddies about these.
My opinion, the engines may be okay to run as-is but you might need to assume that buyers will look at them as cores. The 2 barrel 383s had really mild cams and less than 9.5 to 1 compression.
I'd like to help you establish a value but I'd only be guessing.
A complete engine at Pick-N-Pull is just under $200 but classic car engines are really hard to find there. My best guess is no more than $300 each.
The 383 fits better in the A body line so those guys may have more interest than B body guys.
I'm not a member of the Capital City Mopars Club, but I have been to several of you annual car shows - always had a great time. I may get in touch with you to see if anyone in the Club is interested. It's not about the $$$, I just don't want something that may have some value or use to someone to end up in the medal recycling yard... Thanks

Unfortunately post #5 is the correct answer. Hopefully, you have two good blocks there, and two good steel cranks.....it all goes downhill from there.....maybe good rods. The reality is that they made WAY more 383's than any other big block, period. They are still lurking everywhere, and almost nobody wants one. Sad really, especially if youd had the pleasure to experience a hopped up one.
I've always liked the 383, one of my favorite motors of all time. I think it's underrated, to be sure.

If I was looking to buy them I would consider both engines as cores for a rebuild since they been sitting for several years with no way to verify if they run. They look pretty complete, I would price them about $500 each, and would take any offer over $300 each.

As mentioned, would like the numbers on the 70 block. I am looking for my lost engine which was a 383 2bbl 1970 and originally from California, you never know.

If I was looking to buy them I would consider both engines as cores for a rebuild since they been sitting for several years with no way to verify if they run. They look pretty complete, I would price them about $500 each, and would take any offer over $300 each.
Thank you - I appreciate your advise.

Auto Transport Service
Back