• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What wheels and tires came on base 69 hemi roadrunner?

HersheysHemi

Local time
4:16 AM
Reaction score
Hi
I have been wondering what the factory wheels and tires would have been on my 69 hemi roadrunner when it was delivered to the dealership new?
I don't have the build sheet.
It is a coupe with out the decor group.
Has the Dana 60 4.10 rear end with front discs brakes and 727.
N96 and V21 are the only other options the car has.

My 1969 Hemi roadrunner came with 15 x 7 Steelies and bottlecaps new.
it was a Hardtop, I think with decor group as I remember. I lost track of
it when I sold it to an Australian.

I believe 15X7s weren’t available until 1970. Wouldn’t a 69 Hemi car come with 15X6 “H” wheels if optioned for 15” rims?

15X6 steel with dog dish caps were standard with F70 red line bias ply tires painted black on the back and body color on the outside over sprayed threw the slots
DSCN3630.JPG

Pretty sure: 15x6 with F70x15, with either dog dishes, or INCREDIBLY expensive, rare, Hemi only full wheel covers.
A12 Sixpack cars used the same 15x6, with G70x15 .
Both were redlines by Goodyear.
They were the only b-bodies that year that used 15"wheels.
Hershey, imo it's a 99% chance your car came with dog dishes, just like HemiBeep shows.
Those, and the (now) $5000/set wheel covers, were the only two options. Edit: ....for a hemi, that is. Several options for everything else.

Last edited:
I'm old enough to have been driving these cars when they were new. I read somewhere that the factory put those plain steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps on them because they were certain the buyers would be putting Cragars or some other type of aftermarket wheels on them. Believe me, NOBODY in the 60's ran cars with dog dish hubcaps except maybe a Priest or school teacher and police cars.....

I'm old enough to have been driving these cars when they were new. I read somewhere that the factory put those plain steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps on them because they were certain the buyers would be putting Cragars or some other type of aftermarket wheels on them. Believe me, NOBODY in the 60's ran cars with dog dish hubcaps except maybe a Priest or school teacher and police cars.....
I think 15 do to Hemi and power brakes but I may be wrong

Could these be ordered with the rare recall Kelsey Hayes aluminum slotted wheels?
The KH recall wheels (for b-bodies anyway, I think the a-body version were sbp, and 14") were 15s too, and available only VERY early in the run, and most were recalled before ever delivered to the customer. My source says fewer than 100 sets were ever ordered for 69 roadrunner, so maybe 5? hemis ordered with them, and I'm betting none delivered.
A hemi with a W23 wheel code would be a rare piece!

the W23 recall wheel was avail VERY VERY early in the production run.

I cant say I know for sure any 69 Roadrunners were equipped, odds are yes. But none Im personally aware of.

I do know of a couple Hemi cars that were equipped with them though. Both cars well documented and both style exist
A 1969 GTX hardtop , B5 blue , blk interior hemi , 4spd
A 1969 Charger 500 , hemi auto, A4 silver with blue interior

Wes Eisenschenks' 69 rr book shows a couple 69 runner convertibles with W23s on em, but I don't know if they are true W23 cars or not. Needless to say, neither is a hemi car.

the W23 recall wheel was avail VERY VERY early in the production run.

I cant say I know for sure any 69 Roadrunners were equipped, odds are yes. But none Im personally aware of.

I do know of a couple Hemi cars that were equipped with them though. Both cars well documented and both style exist
A 1969 GTX hardtop , B5 blue , blk interior hemi , 4spd
A 1969 Charger 500 , hemi auto, A4 silver with blue interior
Is that an Aero Charger 500, with a hemi and W23s? Wow! Must be one of one.

Dealers back in the day would swap wheels for customers to sell cars is where most of the odd combos came from.

Look in the Factory Service Manual in the tire and wheel section #22. All the factory tire and wheel options should be listed.

15X6 steel with dog dish caps were standard with F70 red line bias ply tires painted black on the back and body color on the outside over sprayed threw the slotsView attachment 1716651
This is what I was thinking it probably came with.
Would the wheels be default color of black unless someone specified a different color?

Pretty sure: 15x6 with F70x15, with either dog dishes, or INCREDIBLY expensive, rare, Hemi only full wheel covers.
A12 Sixpack cars used the same 15x6, with G70x15 .
Both were redlines by Goodyear.
They were the only b-bodies that year that used 15"wheels.
Hershey, imo it's a 99% chance your car came with dog dishes, just like HemiBeep shows.
Those, and the (now) $5000/set wheel covers, were the only two options.
Does anyone have a picture of what the hemi full wheel covers look like?
I'm just curious.

Auto Transport Service
Back