• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What wheels and tires came on base 69 hemi roadrunner?

Thanks for all the replies.
My car has Oct 68 on the fender tag.
It was a Plymouth dealership's drag car from day one and they only ordered only the go fast options so I'm assuming it's whatever wheels and tires would have came standard on a hemi coupe.
I just wasn't sure if redline tires and hub caps would have been standard equipment.

Does anyone have a picture of what the hemi full wheel covers look like?
I'm just curious.
Very similar to this.
Different center cap

My former 69 hemi had these when new
Just different center cap I believe.

s-l1200.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.
My car has Oct 68 on the fender tag.
It was a Plymouth dealership's drag car from day one and they only ordered only the go fast options so I'm assuming it's whatever wheels and tires would have came standard on a hemi coupe.
I just wasn't sure if redline tires and hub caps would have been standard equipment.
Very similar to this.
Different center cap

View attachment 1717179
Ok thanks

This is what I was thinking it probably came with.
Would the wheels be default color of black unless someone specified a different color?
Black wheels came on black cars and cars with full wheel covers, A12's and some spare tires such as cars with full covers and road wheels other optional wheels but most of that was in 14"

High school classmate's family had the same on a new Chrysler Newport in 1968. Assume the center caps changed between divisions.
Correct, the cover itself is the exact same. Just different plastic center caps depending on the application its being used for , used on..

My old car was equipped as such. I went to the family of the original owner a few years after I bought the car. ( original owner had passed away several years earlier ) And the full wheel covers were still hanging on the garage wall.
I was told they were only on the car maybe a few months when the 1st owner put a set of deep dish Cragers on it .,,which were still on it when I got the car in the early 80s btw
When I sold the car the covers went with it. But no idea if the man ever put them on the car.

The car as pictured a few years after I sold it and still running the same 14 inch road wheels I had on the car ( yes I know hemi cars were all 15 inch, but these were all I had at the time.)
So I ran them

316313377_6423980090964443_1117092296071891569_n.jpg

316416602_6428180667211052_7055989537862273764_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
68 Chrysler Newports would have had 14" wheels in all cases, except when equipped with optional front disc brakes. Disc cars got 15s, with smaller tires stock than the 14s on wagons.
That's where that wheel cover was used originally I guess. Just a center medallion change to use on a 15" Hemi wheel (why build something new, just for a hemi car?)

Correct, the cover itself is the exact same. Just different plastic center caps depending on the application its being used for , used on..

My old car was equipped as such. I went to the family of the original owner a few years after I bought the car. ( original owner had passed away several years earlier ) And the full wheel covers were still hanging on the garage wall.
I was told they were only on the car maybe a few months when the 1st owner put a set of deep dish Cragers on it .,,which were still on it when I got the car in the early 80s btw
When I sold the car the covers went with it. But no idea if the man ever put them on the car.

The car as pictured a few years after I sold it and still running the same 14 inch road wheels I had on the car ( yes I know hemi cars were all 15 inch, but these were all I had at the time.)
So I ran them

View attachment 1717505

View attachment 1717506
Now I'm wondering what roadrunner's had a rocker molding?
Never noticed some have it.
Is this part of the A87 decor group?

Now I'm wondering what roadrunner's had a rocker molding?
Never noticed some have it.
Is this part of the A87 decor group?
Nope. My 69 rr has A87, but no rocker moldings (option for RM21 coupes only)
My info says the A87 consisted of:
H2 upgrade bench seat
Rear armrests (with ashtrays!)
Bright B-pillar moldings
Chrome tailpipe tips (except california. Cali noise reduction regs required turndown tailpipes, among other stuff)
S79 deluxe steering wheel
Bright door trim panel moldings
Bright armrest bases.
Cost $81.50

Last edited:
The rocker moldings were M25, a $21.15 option, the most expensive chrome piece you could add to a 69 rr.

The rocker moldings were M25, a $21.15 option, the most expensive chrome piece you could add to a 69 rr.
Ok thanks. Probably why I haven't noticed any cars having them in all the cars I have been looking at.

Well I stand corrected, I replace them with aftermarket wheels when the
car was a week old a did not measure then.

Well I stand corrected, I replace them with aftermarket wheels when the
car was a week old a did not measure then.
No worries John. It was more than a couple weeks ago, lol.
When do you go in for the cat surgery? (Prayers, dude, for great results!)

Auto Transport Service
Back