• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When is "too much" restoration????

danf_fl

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
In my "new member" post, I have a couple of pics of my ride. And it is not an R/T.
All bushings are being replaced. New rear springs (one broke). New fuel tank, tires, seals, rubber (hoses and tires). Replacement A/C is to be done later.

The problems with the body on this 50 year old is that the driver's side floor pan needs replacement and passenger's rear quarter panel has some "bubbles" that need fixing. Then a new paint job.

What can I expect (cost wise) for a "break even" point of amount invested versus estimated value?

Well starting with the fact that you have a 68 charger (highly desirable by the masses), and it is pretty solid, you are way ahead of most. It is very hard to assign any numbers because there are too many variables.

Yea right now any 68-70 Charger seems to bring 15k for a rotted out carcass so your way ahead of the game already!

Depends on what you want. If you want a nice clean ride with all the bad spots fixed correctly, you are probably going to have more into the car than it is worth. Especially if it's a common car with standard options. Unless you are able to do all the work yourself, you can almost count on having more into the car than it will be worth.

Think of it this way,... Ever watch Graveyard cars? There is a reason most of the cars they do are rare B-body or E-body cars with special features like being factory Hemi or 440 6pak cars. Anything else usually turns into a losing investment.

I've learned, by going through my car, that for a standard car that is not number matching or a rare setup, you better be doing it because you want to, not because you think you can make something off the car. Body work eats up a HUGE amount of money, and it's a slippery slope from there. Get the paint all done, now you can't put those pitted door handles, bumpers, and trim work on it because they'd look like crap against that new paint. Outside looks great, but it runs like crap?? Do both of those,.... can't put that crappy interior back in it..... See where I'm going.

You need to decide how much you like the car, and how nice do you want it. Then decide what you are willing to spend to get what you want.

In the end you'll put more money into it than what the value will be. From what I understand body & paint work is about 30K.

A good place to get springs here. I replaced my original sagging springs from here: http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Last edited:
So far, the numbers are "correct" for '68. Including the exhaust manifolds, block, and intake. Carb is a newer Carter.

Only you can answer that. If you look at my thread

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...net-500-project.114333/page-62#post-910886527

You see I completely restored a '68 Coronet 500 318 and left it mostly stock. The "500" did give a bit more value but not like an R/T. I did all the work myself except for the engine and transmission. I think I have somewhere in the $25k-$30k in parts, paints and consumables in the restoration. Hagardy says it is worth about $18k. Do I care? Nope. I get many people saying thanks for saving a more "less desirable" model and because I restored everything I have no reservations jumping in and driving it all day long to a show or just for fun. It is basically like a new car that would have cost me at least $30k; for something new and cool it would have been MUCH more. How much you want to spend on restoring it depends on what is important to you.

If you like, and can enjoy the car as is, Drive It ! Once you're into the restoration, unless you are a Master Craftsman, and can do everything on your own, you won't recover the funds spent, unless as said, it is a rare, or limited car. I'm into my '63 now, for Way Over My Budget, and that snowball is still rolling towards Hell...

I am expecting to have a total of approx. $15,000 totally invested as of this year and still have some things to do over the next couple of years.

It just clicked for me that you are the guy that just posted the green '68 Charger in the Photo Garage. Very nice car! You are miles ahead of where mine was when I first started the rebuild process.

Story remains the same though,... It's completely up to you on what you decide you want to put into it. I think you are on the right track with starting with the mechanicals though. Get it running and driving good so you can enjoy it. Those are the little things you can do a little at a time while you are still having fun with it. Then when you decide you want to go into the body, you can pull off your good parts and put them back on after the body and paint repairs are complete.

Floor pans and out of sight things can be replaced or cleaned and sealed until you decide to tear into it completely. If it were me, I would keep doing what you are doing and focus on the mechanicals, and just clean everything else up. It's a pretty car and I don't think many would have an issue with driving it exactly how it is.

So far, the numbers are "correct" for '68. Including the exhaust manifolds, block, and intake. Carb is a newer Carter.
Check the rear top of the block where it meets the trans bell housing. The VIN should match. If that matters to you.

If that is original paint on your car I would leave it alone. If there are only a few bad spots I would have them fixed and blown in.Replace the floor correctly and drive it. There are a million restored cars out there but few originals left.I wish all the cars I did were that nice and the ones that were that nice,I wish I would have left alone.
Restorations are a snowball once you start them and soon you will have replaced everything.Replace only what is neccessary,clean it well and drive it.IMHO

Everybody is steering you right. It's easy to get more into these cars than you will ever get out and for me, once they get to a certain point you don't want to drive them anymore and that's just not an option here. My advise: Don't do anything with value as your motivation, do it because you want to and you enjoy the car. We all want to be careful not to "devalue" our cars but when it's all said and done, they not not money makers unless you have a Hemi car or a rare 1 of 2 or something. One last thing, IF that is the original paint, I would do needed repairs only. Have fun!

Last edited:
As an original car it is in extremely nice shape as is. How bad is the floor board? Did it rot because of water coming in around the cowl? I would be tempted to leave the quarter alone but a good body shop will be able to patch and paint to match fairly well. It is a slippery slope however because if they start digging and find more rust then you will want that fixed and it can snowball easily. The upside is that 68 Chargers are going for stupid money right now.

It was stored in Wisconsin. Step father started engine regularly. Problem was he used salt on driveways and let the snow and salt stay on the carpet. Years of doing this took its toll.

It was stored in Wisconsin. Step father started engine regularly. Problem was he used salt on driveways and let the snow and salt stay on the carpet. Years of doing this took its toll.
My opinion stays the same, fix what has to be fixed and leave the rest alone. Threewood is right though on these things snowballing, you never really know how bad it is until you start tearing into it so be aware that it almost always turns into more than you thought.

If you look at my threads for my 68, it needed what most do. Lots of rear sheet metal and most everything else. I'm on pace to pass 50k on the restoration. Not maybe worth it for a 383 2bbl car, but worth it to me to have what I want when finished.

To much is when you're afraid to drive it,door dinges,rock chips,etc.
Have a 66 Vette that way,don't make that mistake.

When is "too much" restoration????

upload_2018-8-8_7-15-48.png

Been there :rolleyes:

Auto Transport Service
Back