• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to find "numbers" on 70 Charger?

rklewis1005

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
I've seen threads about "matching numbers" and I understand the Fender Tag, the VIN on the dash, VIN on the door, and Engine markings. Are there areas on the body/frame stamped with that same info ("trunk gutter", etc) that I should try to preserve for a 1970 Charger? Is there an authoritative source for that kind of information?

Thanks
Ross

left trunk gutter and upper tie bar on the core support, left of center

The left side trunk stamp is usually under the weather strip, it can sometimes be seen from inside underneath with a mirror.

Engine blocks passenger side of the block just above the pan. Driver side transmission usually has some info if automatic just above the pan as well.

Engine location.
Some info on 440 stamp pad.
27_z-2bdodge_440_engine_rebuild-2bpad_numbers-jpeg.jpg

Pan Rail I.D
tachments%2Fblock-stamping-numbers-lower-block-jpg.jpg

383 Location

50981-6c90c889a96b2461f924b915178be1df.jpg

Transmission location.

2Fmoparforum%2Fattachments%2F727-trans-numbers-jpg.jpg

Trans has the vin stamped on the passenger side of the bell housing on a cast in pad..The part number, build date and unit built are on the lh side of the pan rail..

For a visual reference, here is my trunk gutter on my 70 Road Runner prior to restoration. The number will be a partial of your VIN

IMG_1480.JPG

A little strange that it looks closer to an I than a 1 as it's a 1 on the fender tag and dash tag

Auto Transport Service
Back