• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which muscle car is ugly?

Let's not forget that the 1970 B body cars were supposed to be the 1971 styling.

That's what I said.

The 1971 styling was supposed to be on the 1970 models.

The 1970 models were supposed to have the 1971 styling.

it's the same thing.

That's what I said.

The 1971 styling was supposed to be on the 1970 models.

The 1970 models were supposed to have the 1971 styling.

it's the same thing.
Hey !!! My second cup of coffee didn't kick in yet ! :thumbsup: ( That's what I get for reading your comment backwards ... :D )

I was born in 1961. There has been many FB threads on post your favorite car from the year you were born.

I hate that game. Lol. 1961 was definitely a transition year in US automotive design.
1961 Chevy Impala SS, BB 348 I had one, one of about 450. 1961 wasn't all that bad. Now the 409 was a different animal.

The model year 1970 was sort of a change up in styling for a lot of intermediates (ie. real Musclecars). There were several, including the Coronet... The Torino GT and Cobra was another one - those big 429 engine options salvaged it. The 70 Chevelle styling was a set back for me But who cared when you could get a 454.

Sort of like an ugly chick with great boobs.

Butt ugly rear and unbelievable poor engine (180hp?)
View attachment 1279592

You can thank the EPA and smog control for the low HP. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and 74-77 Corvette prices are very affordable for entry level buyers. Their prices have seen modest increases even though they were underpowered, as were all cars of that generation.

Frankly, if my garage wasn’t full I wouldn’t mind finding a nice driver for under 10k.

I was born in 1961. There has been many FB threads on post your favorite car from the year you were born.

I hate that game. Lol. 1961 was definitely a transition year in US automotive design.

I have always thought that the 1961 Corvette was a very cool styling transition. They eliminated the “toothed” grill and added the more sleek 4 tail light rear end. Last year for fat daddy white walls too. Jewel blue is also my all time favorite color, a 1 year option.

6C736CF3-8C0B-47CA-B140-973340953B10.jpeg

Someone thinks this is ugly?

190614_TLB_0408.jpg

Friend of mine had that exact same car back in the day... battery was held onto the apron with rope because the apron rotted away, only a few years old
Early 70's Fords had the worst sheet metal ever.
Cars around here would have holes right in the middle of the door in 2-3 years.
They ran and drove well but literally rusted into bits.

Someone thinks this is ugly?

View attachment 1280045
If you are speaking of me, I didn’t call it ugly, I called it big. The father of my high school buddy was a Mercury executive and he leased him a new 70 Torino Cobra in yellow with 4-speed, 429, bench seat, etc that I spent a lot of time cruising in. So I know what I speak of. It was reasonably quick but huge compared to my 64 Sport Fury. With the standard fabric bench seats it was also a very plain interior. I like the outside appearance - would like it even better in 9/10 scale.

Early 70's Fords had the worst sheet metal ever.
Cars around here would have holes right in the middle of the door in 2-3 years.
They ran and drove well but literally rusted into bits.
You could not be more correct ! We used to joke in the shop, you can fix Ford door window regulators from the outside.

You can thank the EPA and smog control for the low HP. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and 74-77 Corvette prices are very affordable for entry level buyers. Their prices have seen modest increases even though they were underpowered, as were all cars of that generation.

Frankly, if my garage wasn’t full I wouldn’t mind finding a nice driver for under 10k.
EPA and smog emission laws are stricter now than when that 'Vette wheezed off the line. Engineers just hadn't figured out how to make things work yet.

A guy on Moparts posted a 67 Pontiac design studio drawing that was the 70 Coronet to a tee,right down to the grille mesh. The only difference was a Pontiac beak and emblem between the bumper loops. It's a safe bet to take that this designer ended up working in the Dodge Styling department by 1970. The drawing was a dead ringer.

If you can find a picture of that I would really be interested.

I was talking to Larry Shinoda once about Corvette designs. He said the 1973 Corvette was the way the designers intended it to look. Plastic front end and the ducktail chrome bumper rear end. I want another cheap C3 Corvette and drop a built SBC in it.

My Corvettes
1974 Coupe white
1966 Convertible Maroon
1972 Coupe 30K miles Blue
1971 Couple LT1 Gold

Auto Transport Service
Back