• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 satelite how to raise front?

Try 3 turns, bounce car, re measure

Have the front tires off the ground when turning adjusters. You can mess up the threads.

1665188062720.png

how many turns on the torsion bars to get 1 inch?? thanks ed
The factory service manual show the correct method for adjusting ride height. But the method I used was to start on a level surface and measure from the floor or driveway to the the highest point on the inside of the the wheel opening on the fender. Do this on both left and right sides and record the measurement.

As stated by Fran Blacker, jack up the car so that both wheels are above the ground. Then turn the torsion bar adjusting bolts and record the number of turns. Lower the car to ground and bounce the car as recommended by RemCharger. Measure the distance to the same point on the wheel opening and compare to the original measurement.

Repeat until the height difference is one inch. In my case, I stopped raising when I liked how it looked.

Ed, just so you know, changing the ride height can affect your current alignment negatively.

I've never had an inch adversely affect driving qualities.

And LUBE the threads!!!!!! If they are not clean, do the best you can at cleaning the exposed threads then apply penetrating oil. I also like to add some oil after the penetrating oil has had time to soak in.

Cranking the T bars up or down may make a real difference in alignment. Re-check the alignment after making a height adjustment. BTW changing the rear height also effects the front end alignment.

Raising our cars with the steering behind the front wheels will usually add some negative camber which is something I like more of but it will also increase toe out which is something you don't want with increased negative camber. On cars with front steering it will increase toe in. And wouldn't think 1" of rise would cause much difference in the caster......

Cranking the T bars up or down may make a real difference in alignment. Re-check the alignment after making a height adjustment. BTW changing the rear height also effects the front end alignment.
The biggest down fall for a car with the butt high in air is it gets rid of caster which isn't something Mopars have a lot of to start with....

It's been about 50 years since I took my front end alignment class at the local TVI, but I recall that changing the height MAY affect the suspension geometry. Check and see.

Agree on toe.

Relatively easy to check and adjust without special tools (although a toe stick is real nice).

If the car starts wandering, or the tires wear on the edges.

Auto Transport Service
Back