• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 449 GTX, correct trans fluid?

MrDee

Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
What's the correct trans fluid and how many quarts will I need to do a filter change? Thanks

Screenshot_20240613_164014_Messenger.jpg

4 quarts for filter. If you drain the converter 9 to 10. What fluid is in there now? You should have the FSM.

fluid.JPG

trans.JPG

4 quarts for filter. If you drain the converter 9 to 10. What fluid is in there now? You should have the FSM.

View attachment 1678954

View attachment 1678955
Just follow the above information. Use the factory recommended fluid (or today's equilivant of a synthetic fluid) OR use the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL (FSM). if you don't know what that is, you have no business owning a classic car.....ignorance is not bliss....take ghe car to your local trans repair shop......can you find the transmission dip stick?
BOB RENTON

Easy Bob. He's new and just wants to change his trans fluid..
Default is regular dexron II/III, and then every other kind will be recommended as well.

You can pour just about anything you like in a 727. Type F, Dex whatever, tractor hydraulic fluid. Synthetic. Regular. Whatever.

Just follow the above information. Use the factory recommended fluid (or today's equilivant of a synthetic fluid) OR use the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL (FSM). if you don't know what that is, you have no business owning a classic car.....ignorance is not bliss....take ghe car to your local trans repair shop......can you find the transmission dip stick?
BOB RENTON
Wowza, too much coffee?

Easy Bob. He's new and just wants to change his trans fluid..
Default is regular dexron II/III, and then every other kind will be recommended as well.
Thank you. My first Mopar. I've built all kinds of hot rods and restored some Chevys. Can't say I ever need an "FSM"
Actually I use those on my Harleys and outboard. My latest build...no FSM
Screenshot_20240609_160339_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240602_175353_Gallery.jpg

I think the only big concern is that the fluid you decide to use is compatable with the fluid that is already in the trans/torque converter, but I would guess that whoever owned that beautiful car before you would have used the right stuff. I personally use Dex 3.
Nice Chevy! It was produced the same year I was.

I think the only big concern is that the fluid you decide to use is compatable with the fluid that is already in the trans/torque converter, but I would guess that whoever owned that beautiful car before you would have used the right stuff. I personally use Dex 3.
Nice Chevy! It was produced the same year I was.
Yep, same here! And thank you, super fun with it's Tremec 5 speed.

BOB RENTON
Gee Bob.....too much coffee?

I just picked some up. Regular $65 ea! 40 ea on my account.
They're not even 5 full litres!!! (rip off)View attachment 1679656
If it were mine, I'd run ATF+4 and from what I read, it works well in the old stuff too but, never ran it in my old stuff unless one would consider my 95, 96 and 97 pickups. The 95 got it a long time ago and so did the 97 diesel powered truck. The 96 is the newcomer and it's been on it for about 4 years now.

I will say though, a FSM makes things a lot easier.

Auto Transport Service
Back