• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge Charger Base vs RT

I think you can go either way with this if you find an all original R/T Best bet is to keep it original treat it well and it’s a good investment but if you want it your way you find a body that has been stripped of motor and trans and you build it the way you want. I was fortunate enough to find an all original RT last August that has not been registered since 82, 50,000 miles on it and it’s original down to its brake pads and exhaust . It does need some sheet-metal work as they all do but it will be driven On nice sunny weekend. With the pedal to the floor at times. That’s what it was made for.

New guy here with a necro bump for this post, since it came up on a search and I don't want to create clutter.
I have a '69 that was a 383 car. But.. it has the HD sway, rear leaf springs, and torsion bars. Build sheet attached for reference. Does that mean my car is a 440 (which the car now has) away from an R/T, basically? I don't really care either way, to tell the truth.. just curious.
Thanks, in advance.

20230311_101704.jpg

If you found a 383 2bbl car, throw a 4bbl on it, 440 pie plate, rt badges, black out tail panel, add a stripe. Only your hair dresser will know!

I suppose the question for the original poster of this thread is why do you want an r/t? if it's for performance, a 383 4bbl car is gonna be close enough. If it's for the look, then the aforementioned add ons take care of that. If it's because you just want to have a real R/T then that's cool too. All you need is about 160K and a dream!

New guy here with a necro bump for this post, since it came up on a search and I don't want to create clutter.
I have a '69 that was a 383 car. But.. it has the HD sway, rear leaf springs, and torsion bars. Build sheet attached for reference. Does that mean my car is a 440 (which the car now has) away from an R/T, basically? I don't really care either way, to tell the truth.. just curious.
Thanks, in advance.

View attachment 1433272
XP29 is not a R/T. A R/T VIN starts with XS. Also that is not your build sheet, just the window sticker. Pop on over to the welcome wagon to tell us about the car and show us some pics.

XP29 is not a R/T. A R/T VIN starts with XS. Also that is not your build sheet, just the window sticker. Pop on over to the welcome wagon to tell us about the car and show us some pics.
Not an R/T, correct. From what I'm reading, it's pretty close. Maybe not. Was just curious. Welcome Wagon. Check. But be forewarned: the purists will not be happy with me LOL.

I might consider a 383 stroker build? A bored 383 with a 440 crank cut to work in B block REALLY wakes it up. I believe a common build is a 438 ci. And would have no trouble with even a mildly built 440. Lighter rotating weight. Smaller thus less friction on main bearings. Lower in engine bay for taller intake to a stock style hood.

There are advantages. Unless you are looking for BIG cubes.

The R/T chargers will show up after you bought your 383 car. Then buy the R/T or R/T- SE. And keep them both! LOL!

Thanks, in advance.

View attachment 1433272

Looks as close to an RT as you get, without the badges.

Auto Transport Service
Back