• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 383 Bee runs rough

moparmusclecars

Local time
7:16 PM
Reaction score
I am needing some pointers on what path to go to check out this car a guy dropped off for me to do some body work on. I am not a mechanic, so bare with me, please. Does start and run, but runs rough. He said he re-installed the engine about three years ago, and it was rebuilt at a Carquest machine shop store (LOL, ok). Sounds like a stock cam, as it sounds nothing impressive. I see it's got a holley carb on it, and I don't remember what was stock on these year 383's. The car has been in the family since the early 70's. Stock manifold, stock distributor. It seems to snap and pop out of the drivers exhaust more so than the passenger side. I think the tank should have been dropped and cleaned, if they hadn't, but I'll be asking. I did add some heat to the tank along with fresh high octane gas just to maybe get it running better. The longer I run it the better it gets, but the back firing is still there. I was thinking either burnt valve on drivers bank, or blown power valve in the carb? Should i pull all the plugs first and see what they look like? Timing, where should I start with this? I'll check the points, too. What the best place for them to be at to start with? I figured start here and eliminate these areas. I know some talk initial timing and total timing. Please give me some advice on what would be the best way to go about this, and maybe at least get it running better. Thanks, Guys!

I would start with a tune up , carb clean, and sea foam treatment. BUT make sure the fuel is good first and check for vacuum leaks... Make sure if the car does not have hardened seats to run the lead additive in the gas and if it has a ft cam to run the additive in the oil...

From there a compression test if the problem persists...

The tune up should be, filters, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, timing, check fuel psi, change oil and filter, check fluids, etc...

After all that checks out a carb rebuild would be my next step...

I'll check with the owner. He claims it was a rebuilt engine, so i am assuming he changed points, plugs, etc. car hasn't really been ran other than maybe a couple of times after break in. I guess I am assuming they would have done all this. I am assuming the cam is like stock, as there is no noticeable lope, and it is quiet. Hopefully, they put him together an engine that is good.

Run the car out of a gas can with fresh fuel and then retry. Bad gas will make it run like crap no matter what you do.

Auto Transport Service
Back