• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Mopar Purple Cam

Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 383 Mopar that I am completely rebuilding, we are planning to put in a Purple Cam which should be a step higher than the stock one. If we do this would we have to change the pistons or would stock work better? I did some research and I believe the compression ratio for a 383 Mopar is 9.5.1, not 100% sure. I also read that it's recommended to keep stock pistons because otherwise, it'll run crappy unless running a high idle with a purple cam. If someone can let me know whether to keep stock pistons or get a different kind? Thank you

They have dozens of different "purple cams". Ranging from mild to full race. Can you supply some specifications on the one you want?

What year of 383? 68-69 had high compression pistons. Heads also changed through the years affecting the compression.

Last edited:
No commonly used pistons should make an engine run "crappy". Too much cam will.
Mike

Hello, I have a 383 Mopar that I am completely rebuilding, we are planning to put in a Purple Cam which should be a step higher than the stock one. If we do this would we have to change the pistons or would stock work better? I did some research and I believe the compression ratio for a 383 Mopar is 9.5.1, not 100% sure. I also read that it's recommended to keep stock pistons because otherwise, it'll run crappy unless running a high idle with a purple cam. If someone can let me know whether to keep stock pistons or get a different kind? Thank you
Depends what you are looking for exactly.. but i will say i ran a .484 purple shaft and it was by far my favorite cam i ran.. decently drivable and pulled great. I switched to a .509 in the same car and hated it soo much after that :(

Mancini is selling their Purple cams in these flavors.

B/RB 361-440, 474/280 Hyd Flat Tappet

B/RB 361-440, 284/484 Hyd Flat Tappet

B/RB 361-440, 292/509 Hyd Flat Tappet

B/RB 361-440, 312/590 Mechanical Tappet

Back about 1970 I put a 280 degree Crowler (I think) cam in my 64 Sport Fury 383 and it really hurt it off the line. I’m not sure a bit more compression will help much. More like better heads and looser converter or bit better gearing.

I just purchased the 284/484 for the 440 I'm putting together. I'm currently waiting on the cam which was 4 weeks out. They didn't say that on the site when I paid for it.
I assume they get them in batches of 10 or so.

That .590 will reeeeeally wake it up!
after 5500 rpm.

They have dozens of different "purple cams". Ranging from mild to full race. Can you supply some specifications on the one you want?
Oh yes sorry, it's going in a 1971 dodge charger and I don't want a racing cam. More of just a step or two up from the stock cam

Depends what you are looking for exactly.. but i will say i ran a .484 purple shaft and it was by far my favorite cam i ran.. decently drivable and pulled great. I switched to a .509 in the same car and hated it soo much after that :(
Not really a race cam but something a step or two up from the stock cam, but I will keep that in mind. Did that go in a 383 Mopar as well?

Thank you, I will look into those and find out which one best suits me, I'm looking for something just a little higher than the stock cam.

Back about 1970 I put a 280 degree Crowler (I think) cam in my 64 Sport Fury 383 and it really hurt it off the line. I’m not sure a bit more compression will help much. More like better heads and looser converter or bit better gearing.
Oh yea were definitely upgrading it, I don't wanna keep the motor very stock I want it to run like a muscle car but have some of them luxuries too.

Not really a race cam but something a step or two up from the stock cam, but I will keep that in mind. Did that go in a 383 Mopar as well?
yeah for me it would be the .484.. it has a slight lope to it but nothing bad... the .474 if you wanted a little softer but i really loved that 484

Here is the 484... i know it's just a video.. but just to get an idea of idle quality..

And you don't want a .590 :) He was being sarcastic...thing sounds amazing though

So does he have these from lowest to highest? I have not a clue about cams but if so that'll definitely be nice.

Here is the 484... i know it's just a video.. but just to get an idea of idle quality..

And you don't want a .590 :) He was being sarcastic...thing sounds amazing though

:lol:
It wasn't really sarcasm,, just a true statement. But not applicable to this build..
Yes the 284 mopar is a decent choice for basic hot street cam

:lol:
It wasn't really sarcasm,, just a true statement. But not applicable to this build..
Yes the 284 mopar is a decent choice for basic hot street cam
ahah true... a .590 would wake it up but suck in this instance :) thing sounds amazing though, kinda want one

Do you have power brakes?
Do you care about fuel mileage?
Can you tune a carburetor?

The 484 isn't very stock and too big for most street cars. Mileage will be Gone!

Auto Transport Service
Back