• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 poly to poly swap..first time engine swap

cadjaw55

Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
I have a 64 fury with p/b transmission. The engine needs rebuilt..but I have found another 318 Poly engine that is in great shape. I have never Pulled and engine in my life. What is the correct procedure? I basically am unsure of how to disconnect the transmission and make a clean pull. The guy who sold me the engine said to make sure to remove inspection plate from tranny and push back the torque convertor. This is where I will be winging it! I want a clean pull of the engine and try not to screw up the tranny. I have engine crane, engine stand....air tools, impact guns etc.! I want to keep this p/b tranny intact and this why I went to another 318 poly from a 1963 polara. Please send me any info on the correct way to make this swap. i have service manual and a 1965 coronet with a poly that is running.....I know I can do this! Any advice to make this a rewarding transfer will be gratefully appreciated! So far B-Bodies members have been outstanding in providing me with great details!! also, the pilot bearing needs pulled....any suggestions?
Thanks,
CMJ

Assuming you have removed all of the other engine components necessary to remove it ...

Remove the inspection plate and you will see that the torque converter is bolted to a flex plate with 4 bolts. Remove all 4 (you'll need to rotate the engine by hand) slide the converter back slightly... might need to pry is slightly. Remove the rest of the bell housing bolts and pull her out.

Don't forget to disconnect the kick down linkage and support the transmission with some blocks or a jack so it doesn't fall when the engine is disconnected.

As far as the pilot (I'm assuming this is in the replacement motor). A good way to remove it without hurting the crank is to pack the inside of the bushing with wheel bearing grease, including the recess behind it. Then find a round dowel or rod that is just small enough to fit inside the pilot. Drive the dowell into the pilot and the grease will 'hydraulic' the bushing out. Works slick.............

get the book

i bought the service manual for my 440 . step by step for every proceedure as prescribed by dodge for all dealer service folks to follow. paper version cost me 50 bucks off ebay.

If the donor engine had an automatic trans, there should not be a pilot bearing. Used for manual trans setup only.

Ive got a good poly engine and trans sitting in my garage...you can have it if you come and get it.

Assuming you have removed all of the other engine components necessary to remove it ...

Remove the inspection plate and you will see that the torque converter is bolted to a flex plate with 4 bolts. Remove all 4 (you'll need to rotate the engine by hand) slide the converter back slightly... might need to pry is slightly. Remove the rest of the bell housing bolts and pull her out.

Don't forget to disconnect the kick down linkage and support the transmission with some blocks or a jack so it doesn't fall when the engine is disconnected.

Got the flex plate unbolted how far back should the torque converter slide? It seems to have gone back about a 1/4inch or so. Should I try and get it further back or is that good?

Thank you guys for all the information provided thus far.

Auto Transport Service
Back