• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Police Cars Most Police Wish They Still Drove

Was it the Dodge Polara that they used in and wrecked a bunch of in the Blues Brothers movie????

Actually Monacos and they were actual ex cop cars purchased by the studio.

In high school (~1975) I drag raced a friend that had the 69 polara (ex police car). It had the 440 and he claimed it had a interceptor rear end. Regardless in the quarter mile it smoked my 69 roadrunner (383 with mild modifications). I was 17 at the time and was humbled.

This dude is rewriting history on that 94/96 caprice. Every cop I knew hated that thing. They were imbarrased to drive it. Looked like an aerodynamic turd.

Now that Crown Vic - that was a great cop car.

This dude is rewriting history on that 94/96 caprice. Every cop I knew hated that thing. They were imbarrased to drive it. Looked like an aerodynamic turd.

Now that Crown Vic - that was a great cop car.
Agreed. Had one crown vic police and two grand marquise. Keeping my 09 grand marquise until parts are no longer available. The Ford panther series may be the best cars they ever built.

Everyone hated the caprice ! The maraders! (Crown vics) we're bad ***!

O.k. time to come down to reality. In my 57 years of age being a car nut all of then plus being involved in law enforcement for 31 years I will make the following comments. The 94-96 Caprice squads with the LT-1 motor was preferred hands down to the Crown Victoria. They had a lot more power and was quicker that the Ford's. They were alittle heavier but were more predictable over the CV's. This era Caprice did get rid of the "bath tub" rear wheel openings. Remember the '69 Polara's went to 147 mph and was overtaken finally in 1994 Caprice (which went 155 mph). I prefer a Mopar but the facts are the facts. I will keep my '70 Plymouth Fury III ex-Washington State Patrol car but acknowledge the other cars.

That LT1 engine was bigger than the Ford and also in a higher state of tune than the Ford.
Look at the specs and its obvious which car would win a race.
Now crank that 440 to the same rpm as the LT1....
I miss my 72 Polara 400 Pursuit.

The only ones I ever really worried about were the Ohio Highway Patrol 440’s. They may have only had 2.76 rears in them,BUT!

I'd like to have this one back, if I'd been an Officer.

Not a four door so it must have been used only for one thing!
dodgepolice.jpg

I recall reading that the last of the Chevy Impala/Caprice models were SO well liked, that even when they went out of production, several municipalities kept using the cars LONG after their normal schedules. They refurbished the cars with new engines, transmissions, suspension parts, etc.

The 94 Caprice was the most ugly car out there I think. I had a 95 and loved it. Fast, comfortable, roomy. I bought a SS grill from somebody that was retiring, It looked real good after that. I researched the refurbish program from GM, it would have cut the price of a new car about in half and came with a warranty. I made the suggestion, but it didn't fly.
I'd have to say that the one I wish I had today would be the 78 Dodge with the 440.

The 94-96 Caprice squads with the LT-1 motor was preferred hands down to the Crown Victoria

I would agree! I’ve got many miles in both and I would take a caprice with 100,000 miles on it over a Crown Vic! Here in Maine, and maybe that makes a difference with the winters and roads but a crown Vic at about 25,000 miles is as loose as can be. They were very difficult to control at higher speeds. The Caprice would handle so much better!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQ3KZ101lXsA1AxvtvuHj9sFJdW9uoCK43xwkv1GBcqxDoLg3M.jpg

A Rare Photo of me..

When I first Join the NYCPD.. They still had few
Plymouth Reliant, Dodge Aries
hqdefault.jpg

then Gran Fury Diplomats​

18axm4cftahrtjpg.jpg

Chevy caprices Impala
1688_950561_unnamed-10.jpg

1991-chevrolet-caprice-police-car-wallpaper-3.jpg

1688_840_IMG_4454.jpg

then the fords

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScV7xEHcxCWgHFphPWLeiAq_-CcBhUITQQGuzEt5hiRuG4r03Y.jpg

Great Unmarked vehicles
168899_Ford_Crown_Vic_(Brown).jpg

Never thought I'd see Mopar guys defending Chevy over Ford.
When it comes to a cruiser....Chevy over ford for sure! At least in my day..

We didn’t have dodge / Plymouth as an option

My dad had the first of the SHO Taurus police cars. He much preferred the Crown Vic, but he did give kudos to the performance of the Taurus SHO.
About 15 years ago my mom and dad were driving in their Crown Victoria and got T-boned on the highway. If they would have been riding in a less safe car, I would have lost them in that accident.
The LT-1 Caprice is a hauler, but ugly as ***. The Mercury Maurader has potential and decent performance stock, but I know one well that has a Procharger, and it is really fast, but reliable.
I had a Caprice with a straight 6, but it had the police handling suspension, and that boat would really take a corner flat!

Auto Transport Service
Back