• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$500- 68 charger

Well I may finally get my blasting done soon. I ran into an old friend who owns an equipment rental business and he has an industrial compressor and blasting set-up. It is a serious system with massive cfm & psi and a 350lb hopper. He said I could have it for $200 for the weekend or 8 hours on the Hobbs meter. I'm going to carry a piece of scrap 1/4 skin to his place and do some test and tune before I bring it home. I will be using black beauty media, but I'll also try to find some pecan hulls or something soft for the panels if the test shows the need. I will be very cautious but I'm wondering if I just back away about 5ft or so from the panels and just hit them lightly if they will come out undamaged.

Black Beauty is some nasty stuff, it will leave allot of texture in the metal. If using sand I'd try Silica, I would get a scrap hood or something because it will warp the hell out of the metal and it isn't easy to fix. You should be fine on all of the undercarriage and interior but I personally wouldn't touch any of the panels with it. I had a guy ruin my hood just from blasting the bottom side of it and have a blaster myself, just use allot of caution. From 5ft away my blaster won't do much of anything but make a mess, has to be within inches. Good luck

Found these caracatures of a charger . . .

Hey Daytona Kid - here's what I've found for a Charger . . .

Charger-2.gif

Charger3.jpg

charger68.jpg

If you like the looks of any of them - the 01 could be edited off the door . . .

hers a couple i ran across, hope this helps.......

Attachments

• 1969-dodge-charger-concept-rendering.jpg
    1969-dodge-charger-concept-rendering.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 465
  • 1969-dodge-charger-515concept.jpg
    1969-dodge-charger-515concept.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 478
I dug out the grille for a look to see what all it needed. Doesn't look like it needs a lot. The lowest section of vertical fins is missing a few. The are about 1/4" tall, I hope to be able to replace them with something that will match. Any ideas on where to get something to fix these with would be appreciated. The head light door mechanisms appear to be ok but will probably go with some of the electric replacement units.

Attachments

• CAM00444.jpg
    CAM00444.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 449
  • CAM00445.jpg
    CAM00445.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 453
I have made a few posts in other areas, asking questions,. but I thought I would start a thread for my project in the proper area..
I am going to race this rust bucket after restoring it, but will be leaving out a lot of unnecessary stuff. I am going to save all the stuff I take off in case I ever sell it or want to put it back stock. I plan on a 500hp or so motor. I've got it pretty stripped down, putting in new floors, roll bar,. and I am adding to the welding of the framework to make it stronger. Patching small rust spots, etc.. Just about ready to bead blast.

http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/user/daytonakid/library/68 charger[/QUOTE

VERY NICE 500.OO rust bucket !! :headbang: work looks good !!

any of these help, kinda awesome.......

Attachments

• dsportpromod2.jpg
    dsportpromod2.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 388
  • untitlesadasdadasdas234234d.jpg
    untitlesadasdadasdas234234d.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 418
Yea, They are very cool. I was hoping there was some way I could modify them to my planned specs, paint, wheels, etc. I guess I could try some photo shop.

Yea, They are very cool. I was hoping there was some way I could modify them to my planned specs, paint, wheels, etc. I guess I could try some photo shop.

I can help you with the color Daytona Kid - helped USARR with his . . . which one do you like the best ?

Two of the hardest things to pick, paint and wheels, I do wish you the best, its enough to go thru the wheels alone and see all and still focus at the end. not trying to be smart man, but ive been thru numerous wheels trying to pick the perfect set, im starting to think my centerlines of so many years are still good for me, until next time i get the bug anyway :(

I can help you with the color Daytona Kid - helped USARR with his . . . which one do you like the best ?
Thanks for the offer but mine is a 68 so I guess I'll keep looking.
I keep leaning to a black paint job with a ghost red tail-stripe and ghost red flames coming out the door's and hood's fake scallop vents, & good ole Crager ss wheels for the street and some kinda trick light racing wheels for the strip, 15 X 6 fronts & 15 x10 rears.

If it's the kind of red I'm thinking that would look really cool however I saw a Charger with the flames coming out of the scallops at a show (not such a fan of it). I don't envy you with the decisions to be made "what a pain". Good luck, I'm sure whatever you pic will be cool.

If I do any flames hey will be very ghosty and not to big, some that you can't see till your close..
But I have thought about a red paint job also, Maybe that new metallic mini flake maroonish red. With a chrome tail-stripe?

Flames are cool i always thought but i do agree with a little, some take it to the limit and they take over the paint job and looks.. JMO.. You can have real cool or have what others say is cool.. hope you know what im trying to say! It is be cool walking up to a real nice paint job and then see some hint of flames that you would never have known about without the close up, been there and always thought that concept was cool...

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?24672-68-charger&p=909928101&viewfull=1#post909928101
this is how i made missing fins & repaired cracks

using acetone & abs pipe shreds, worked awesome for fixing cracks & making fins,but takes DAYS to completely dry.

get some abs pipe from hardware store,cut it up in very small pieces,get a glass jar that seals good & mix the shavings with acetone,it takes time for it to melt,get it to where its like thin tooth paste. it works great!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to try that! Thanks Charlie!
Still waiting on a good weekend to blast.. In the mean time I bought some stuff for the tow rig/trailer. A 9,000 lb winch and a tool box for it to live in. I'll add a battery for it, and some basic tools, equipment, straps, etc. Gotta cut a hole in the backside of the box for the cable and mount it to the trailer.

Attachments

• CAM00456.jpg
    CAM00456.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 305
I,m thinking about selling my old seats. They need a lot of work and I'm going with the modern jegs racing style seats I bought. I figure if I ever want to put stock seats back in it I'll buy some then. I really just don't feel like trying to get them in my attic. My friend, the 27 mopars hoarder, has offered to buy them so I think I'll let em go.. I know it seems horrible to some to let go of original stuff but I can live with out them I believe. May let him have a few other items that I'll be replacing that I can get later new if I need. Just don't feel like storing a bunch of junk I don't really need. Please forgive me purist!
Funny, As can be seen in the pic, one seat had 3/8 thick plywood discs under the mount-bolts and one had 1" metal spacers.. And it looks like factory stuff.
HUMMM!:confused1:

Attachments

• CAM00458.jpg
    CAM00458.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 314
  • CAM00459.jpg
    CAM00459.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 337
Don't blame you, not a big fan of low back seats in muscle car anyways.

X2 Daytona Kid . . . You're building the car, put the seats in that you LIKE ! ! !

I agree with 747 Mopar - I"ll be swapping out my bench seat for some nice tall back bucket seats too ! ! ! ( smile )

Auto Transport Service
Back