• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$500- 68 charger

Moving right along, Got the other leaf spring on and one of the upper A-frames.

Attachments

• CAM00108.jpg
    CAM00108.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 340
Man, You sure have this looking like new for sure! Great work!

wow...you really are moving right along. It's a trip going through this thread from square one to this point....Ton's of work done!!! Keep it up!

Thanks Guys..
I'm going to start refurbishing my rear-end soon, I'm going back with the stock 8.75 for now, may get a Dana later.. Anyone have some tips/link on the best deal on a rear brake rebuild kit?

Thanks Guys..
I'm going to start refurbishing my rear-end soon, I'm going back with the stock 8.75 for now, may get a Dana later.. Anyone have some tips/link on the best deal on a rear brake rebuild kit?

I'll be looking for it too . . . as I'll be narrowing my 8 3/4 rear end soon . . . may check into Rock Auto and see if they have the parts that I need . . .

Great work on the car Daytona Kid . . .

love to check in on your thread and see how things are coming along . . .

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think mine are painted either, .seems like they have some type of thin cosmoline coating on them.. I may take them back off later and epoxy them.

Lacquer thinner seems to always do the job in those cases . . . ( smile ) . . . I'll be giving it a shot ! !

Thanks Guys..

I get all my brake stuff from rock auto. They have all the wheel cylinder's, shoes, star adjusters and hardware/springs you need. You can buy from economy grade up to professional. I really like picking and researching my own stuff, instead of dealing with some ignorant fella behind a counter that doesn't even know how to navigate through a parts book. Just my 2 cents.

Yep, I was thinking about RockAuto.. thnx for confirming them for me..

Yep, Earlier i was thinking on some parts for my 73 i need to get, some i have but things like intake gaskets, oil filter and plugs, ive argued up the wall with guys that are at Auto-zone that in my opinion shouldn't be working there, just trying to get simple things! There was a lady that worked there some 5 year ago now and i don't care what you needed she knew what you were talking about, i sure miss her being there and since then ive done much better locating things myself...
Some things i have had a lot of good luck using Amazon.com to.. I bought rear brakes and new cylinders off them and thought i got a good deal for my 73 about 3 year back now.. I have bought from Rock auto and they are good to work with...

I get all my brake stuff from rock auto. They have all the wheel cylinder's, shoes, star adjusters and hardware/springs you need. You can buy from economy grade up to professional. I really like picking and researching my own stuff, instead of dealing with some ignorant fella behind a counter that doesn't even know how to navigate through a parts book. Just my 2 cents.

What he said ^^^^^

I like rockauto for the same exact reason. Their customer service is pretty good too. I was recently shipped the wrong part and I called...2 days later I got my part and they told me to keep the first one.

It also gives you some selection of brand which most parts stores only have maybe one or two. I go all my brake parts from them and built my own rear disk combo.

Yep, Earlier i was thinking on some parts for my 73 i need to get, some i have but things like intake gaskets, oil filter and plugs, ive argued up the wall with guys that are at Auto-zone that in my opinion shouldn't be working there, just trying to get simple things! There was a lady that worked there some 5 year ago now and i don't care what you needed she knew what you were talking about, i sure miss her being there and since then ive done much better locating things myself...
Some things i have had a lot of good luck using Amazon.com to.. I bought rear brakes and new cylinders off them and thought i got a good deal for my 73 about 3 year back now.. I have bought from Rock auto and they are good to work with...

with autozone, I go through their online ordering process, then pick it up at one of my local stores (which happens to be the second closest to my house, AND it's a 24hr store, which is more like a distribution warehouse). it's paid for, I just check to be sure they picked the right stuff, and have a nice day...

sjd

with autozone, I go through their online ordering process, then pick it up at one of my local stores (which happens to be the second closest to my house, AND it's a 24hr store, which is more like a distribution warehouse). it's paid for, I just check to be sure they picked the right stuff, and have a nice day...

sjd

That would of saved many arguments, The one hear is only 15 miles from me which is close where i live, i may just try that if, i can wait until they can get it set up, if its a next day, or two it would be ok but how i have been doing it sometimes i can order and get it the next morning, without any special shipping (Summit)....

And a 24 hr parts store is handy! Usually with me and it has happened a few times in the middle of "hours", its small things getting something running but yes, handy!

Last edited:
I am thinking about derusting some misc parts with the molasses and water method. I'm wondering if the parts can just be piled in the bucket on each other with occasional stirring, or if they need to be seperated and/or hanging from wires or something to make the process work thoroughly. Anyone have experience with this method?

I am thinking about derusting some misc parts with the molasses and water method. I'm wondering if the parts can just be piled in the bucket on each other with occasional stirring, or if they need to be seperated and/or hanging from wires or something to make the process work thoroughly. Anyone have experience with this method?

There is another method that works if you have the time and its light rust, Take some white vinegar and mix 2 parts water and one part vinegar, You can buy a scrub pad from a auto parts store but you can steal one of the scrub pads (green/white) from the wife and scrub them with that (rough side), leave it sit and it will turn orange/black and rinse off (next day) but will eliminate the rust for painting.. I think a stronger solution would be better but that's the way its supposed to be.. I don't know if it would work soaking them but i thought i should tell you of this method as it does save money! Ive never tried the molasses method but have heard about it and it's supposed to work but takes some time doing it so i cant say anything about that one..

Daytona Kid, pile them in! I don't even stir them, on warm days like this the rust comes off fairly quickly. The only thing that I've found more useful than dumping the parts in is to use something like a deep fryer basket to hold little parts, bolts etc. to make it easier to fish them out again. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?36965-Rust-removal-by-using-molasses

I've got a bunch of stuff soaking, ready to remove tomorrow. I'm now using a much larger container than in that original article so I can submerge longer parts.

Kid send me list of rear brake parts you need. I replaced my 8.75 with a 60 with discs. If I have anything you can use I'lol make ya a smoking deal!

Kid send me list of rear brake parts you need. I replaced my 8.75 with a 60 with discs. If I have anything you can use I'lol make ya a smoking deal!
Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that, but I haven't started taking it apart yet so it may take me a week or so to figure out what all I need.

I like this stuff. it creates a phosphate coating on the rust and pretty well removes all of it. I have never tried soaking it to completely dissolve it but i suppose you probably could. I've used this A LOT. Available at Home Depot for $16

6dfa3a82-2631-469a-ad51-bb6f7c88611f_400.jpg

This stuff works even better but its way more expensive for the quantity. The end results are pretty close but I'd say "rust prep" works a little faster. Both you will want to not breath in while spraying!

at-35016_8388.jpg

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/AT-35016/Rust-Prep-16Oz-Spray-Bottle

This is the cheapest place to get it, best price and free shipping.

While the rust removal chemicals likely work a lot faster, the main advantage of molasses is the price. 25 gallons of mix for about $20 and it lasts for over a year of continuous use.

Here's a manifold I just rinsed off after a three day soak. Almost completely rust free..it was crusty and brown to start.

Manifold.jpg

Got the rear-end apart and the brakes off, no surprises. Everything looks pretty good, so far.
How do you get the bearings off the axles? Or should I just leave them, clean them up and regrease? They don't look bad.

Attachments

• CAM00110.jpg
    CAM00110.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 227
Auto Transport Service
Back