• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet 2 door

Nitrofish1

Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
This is a 1968 Coronet I purchased recently from my grandfather who bought it in a grass field in South Dakota. Right now it is a (rather dusty) 2 door sedan with an auto /6, will be getting a stroked big block and have yet to decide on a trans for it. Just making payments on it for now, will take delivery after it gets sent to the body shop in a few years, but until then I can pine over these pictures my friend took while I went on a trip north to look at the car. Car is practically rust free, has flip-out windows at the rear seats, and is also coming with the 440 block, the 4 speed, and a 6 pack hood scoop as part of the deal. Can't wait to see it in my garage in a few years.

DSC_0683.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0669.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0644.jpg

DSC_0642.jpg

Welcome to the board. That 68 is a diamond in the rough. Good luck with it and keep posting pics whenever you can.

Really nice car from what I can see, congrats.

The 68 is one of the nicest looking Dodges there are, ive seen several on the site here, a couple verts included if you do a search and want to check them out, I think with the 440 and 4-speed your in for a lot of fun man, Congrats and good luck with it!! and welcome aboard the forum!

welcome and that looks like a great project.

Really nice looking car. I wouldn't be surprised that when you give it a bath, the paint is still shiny.

Thanks for having me on board the forum. The car is rust free and I just fell in love with it as soon as I heard about it, let alone once I saw it. It's going to take a very long time to restore it but once it's done I know it'll be the sweetest moment. I experience the same thrill once I finish a project motorcycle as well and it's what keeps me coming back. I have a few more pictures but these are the best

got a few more pics here that i dream about as i write that car payment check every month, the second one gets me goin good lol

DSC_0671.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0647.jpg

Hell......just wash it and go man, lucky dog.
Welcome aboard.

Hell......just wash it and go man, lucky dog.
Welcome aboard.

yeah it needs an interior, its all 1968 inside of there..... cracked panels, very dusty seats, i would drive it if the slant 6 wasnt seized up :/ debating on a 318 rebuild so i can drive it to the shop for an interior and paint, then dropping in the big block once its home.

Get the engine bay cleaned up and painted and your big block in. Then do the outside so you dont risk damaging the fresh new paint just the old. awesome car will be nice.

:headbang:dam that's a nice 68 what a find, looks like your grand father had something on his mind when got it that is nice!

Get the engine bay cleaned up and painted and your big block in. Then do the outside so you dont risk damaging the fresh new paint just the old. awesome car will be nice.

is there that big of a danger installing the motor post-paint?

is there that big of a danger installing the motor post-paint?

A lot of things can happen that you don't expect when putting in a motor, but why take the chance even when you put blankets on to help protect the fenders.

A lot of things can happen that you don't expect when putting in a motor, but why take the chance even when you put blankets on to help protect the fenders.

That's just Murphy helping us out anytime he can . . . great looking car ( so what if it's a little dusty ) . . . welcome aboard !

I agree with putting the engine in and then doing the body, to many things can happen accidental like... No use taking a chance and it will be easier to move it around if need be..

I agree with putting the engine in and then doing the body, to many things can happen accidental like... No use taking a chance and it will be easier to move it around if need be..
Has anyone here made a laundry list for restoring their b body? Like a general list of the order each piece should be done in so that all the parts fall in line. Body, engine, paint, interior, driveline, suspension?

Looks like a great project. I would do a complete tear down. "Be sure to package and catalog your parts, ( I didn't do that on mine). There's usually rust lurking on these Mopars. Get your drive train rounded up and so you can resolve any install issues. You can mix body work in with that. Unless Your doing a comprehensive restoration, leave your suspension components in place to move the car around. Last: paint, interior, then motor. Good Luck

Looks like a great project. I would do a complete tear down. "Be sure to package and catalog your parts, ( I didn't do that on mine). There's usually rust lurking on these Mopars. Get your drive train rounded up and so you can resolve any install issues. You can mix body work in with that. Unless Your doing a comprehensive restoration, leave your suspension components in place to move the car around. Last: paint, interior, then motor. Good Luck
I was going to send the car to the body shop to get the work done and subframe connectors welded in. Essentially the body work and welding it needs done and receive it just in primer ready for an interior, motor and driveline. I can wait to get it painted until all of that is done. Sooooo idk if I will be going in the best order there is, I'm just unsure of doing all of the surface dents and body filler it needs. Was going to get the work done up north, grandfather knows a good shop to get the body and welding done for a decent price, says their quality of work is excellent. It'd be easy to get an interior and paint done if the car is driveable

Has anyone here made a laundry list for restoring their b body? Like a general list of the order each piece should be done in so that all the parts fall in line. Body, engine, paint, interior, driveline, suspension?

I think we all have at one time or another.. We all do things different, myself i would rather have the engine bay, suspension and engine/trans all done and put together, one of the biggest reasons is i don't have enough room, having one thats movable is better for me.
Sometimes we cant do it, im working on one now (at times) that needs so much work i just cant have it with the engine and trans in it, i cant do body and drive train at the same time money wise so, i guess its whats best for you... You'll get it and its a great project that i wouldn't mind having myself, yet another if i could afford all the different cars i like so well. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back