• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Flow Rate

Udderchaos

Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 727 question. I don't know what year this transmission is. The transmission fluid is pink in the pan. We removed the transmission lines from the radiator. With the engine running, transmission in park, there is not much flow(Drips) out of one line. We ran it through the gears, and still not much flow out of the line. What is the cause of no flow.? Or is this the correct amount of flow.?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Hello All,

I have a 727 question. I don't know what year this transmission is. The transmission fluid is pink in the pan. We removed the transmission lines from the radiator. With the engine running, transmission in park, there is not much flow(Drips) out of one line. We ran it through the gears, and still not much flow out of the line. What is the cause of no flow.? Or is this the correct amount of flow.?

Thank you in advance for any information.

That's a good question. I noticed this too when I changed the cooling lines on my 727.

Started the engine and noticed just a few drips in neutral. I should have put it in gear but didn't think about it at the time.

Maybe someone else here can elaborate?

No flow in park, that is why it says to check in neutral on the dipstick. Line pressure is low at idle. If you really wanna make a mess, jack up the rear so the wheels are off the ground, put it in gear and rev it up.

We did put it in gear with the wheels off the ground. Didn't rev it up. We just wanted to check if the wheels turned. I don't recall the trans dipstick having anything about checking in neutral.

I always check my fluid while in neutral. I am no trans guy but i dont believe the trans pump flows much, if at all in park. But it will in neutral. Before i pull out of the garage i let the car sit in neutral for a few seconds.

I normally move the selector handle through the drive gears and then stop on neutral and check oil level. This way oil goes into the torque converter where it should be and gives you a more accurate reading on the dipstick. I learned this from a uncle of mine and has never failed me. Luck I guess.

It depends on how the transmission is built. Some are modded so that they flow as much in park and neutral as in drive. Especially some with manual valve bodies. Almost every original dipstick I've ever seen says "CHECK HOT IDLING IN NEUTRAL". The reason is because the manual valve is in a different position as in Park and more fluid is being pumped to the converter. Of course, all that changes when you modify the transmission.

Oh and if youf fluid is PINK, you got problems. It should be a dark RED. Pink is usually indicative of a ruptured transmission cooler in the radiator.

I normally move the selector handle through the drive gears and then stop on neutral and check oil level. This way oil goes into the torque converter where it should be and gives you a more accurate reading on the dipstick. I learned this from a uncle of mine and has never failed me. Luck I guess.

yup...thats its done!

We removed the transmission pan last night. I have no idea what was in the pan/transmission. It has sat for a week, and the water SHOULD have seperated from the trans fluid. The pink stuff was stringy, and smelled like fix a flat. Wherever the fluid touched my skin, it burned/itched and made my skin red. The fluid had the consistency of chain bar oil in the winter. We changed the fluid/filter.

The pink stuff was stringy, and smelled like fix a flat. Wherever the fluid touched my skin, it burned/itched and made my skin red. The fluid had the consistency of chain bar oil in the winter. We changed the fluid/filter.
I don't know if it smells like fix-a-flat, but I do know that "skydrol" which is used on aircraft will burn your skin. It's really nasty nasty stuff. Not knowing what you have there, be very very careful with it!

We removed the transmission pan last night. I have no idea what was in the pan/transmission. It has sat for a week, and the water SHOULD have seperated from the trans fluid. The pink stuff was stringy, and smelled like fix a flat. Wherever the fluid touched my skin, it burned/itched and made my skin red. The fluid had the consistency of chain bar oil in the winter. We changed the fluid/filter.[/QUOTE

Water will not separate from trans fluid. The worst part is that the bonding agent used in clutch frictions and band frictions deteriorate in water. If you didn't sink it in a puddle you have a broken cooler in the radiator. Take the front cooler line off, run it and keep adding fluid untill it clear.
Doug

I don't know if it smells like fix-a-flat, but I do know that "skydrol" which is used on aircraft will burn your skin. It's really nasty nasty stuff. Not knowing what you have there, be very very careful with it!

It sounds like Skydrol is what we have. More of a purple than pink. And describes the burning sensations. The car was/is a drag car, so flame rsistant fluid would make sense. But according to Skydrol's web site, the fluid eats up some seals. It also explains why it's hard to flush out of the transmission. Is it common to use Skydrol in an automotive transmission? I do know what ever is in the transmission(other than MercII) takes off paint, burns like the dickens when skin contact is made, residuals stay in the transmission, and doesn't wipe up from the concrete floor very easily.

Skydral is strictly made for aircraft systems. I have never been exposed to it but I do fly and I know it's on board. It's very nasty stuff, be VERY Careful, don't touch it or get it on you and dispose of properly!!!!!

I contacted Skydol. The rep that I emailed with said that he doubted Skydol was in the transmission. He went on to say that skydol would ruin the seals in the transmission. Well, add another similarity to the list. I have to admit, what ever is in the transmission does not flush out very well..

As was said stock 727 dont flow thru the cooler in Park and of course that why you have to check the fluid level in neutral. There are aftermarket kits to let it flow in park. I can tell you I did alot of Mopar auto tranny's over the last 24 years and everytime I got them with very pink fluid from water in them I had to remove the trans and take everything apart including the complete valve body to get it all out. We had one truck come back twice that one of the guys flushed the trans out twice and the fluid still came back pink. Finally I took it out and went thru it and that took care of it. But 2 of the ones like that had been under water from a minor flood. Ron

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention there is a flow rate spec for the cooler in the service manual. I think it was 1 pint in 30 seconds but would have to look it up to be sure. Ron

FINALLY got most of the pinkish/purple stuff out of the transmission. There is just a faint tint to the fluid. I am guessing it was Skydol. All the stuff listed on Skydol's site described it to a "T".

Auto Transport Service
Back