• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 help needed! 2nd time rebuild in 6 months and still bad!

Third rebuild didn't take.

Got her back and 100 miles later dead again with no forward gears and tons of reverse. I was pissed off and had to drive it home in reverse. (3 blocks) Arrrrrr. I love our car but we need to pull the 727 out and do the Office Space printer beatdown on it or maby a few rounds from a .50 Beowulf would fix it. I will be calling the trans shop this morning. I sure hope Santa stops by TCI before he hits our house this year.

this fix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN6uvd1GeSs

or this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsBB...He will build off a different core this time.

Last edited:
Got her back and 100 miles later dead again with no forward gears and tons of reverse. I was pissed off and had to drive it home in reverse. (3 blocks) Arrrrrr. I love our car but we need to pull the 727 out and do the Office Space printer beatdown on it or maby a few rounds from a .50 Beowulf would fix it. I will be calling the trans shop this morning. I sure hope Santa stops by TCI before he hits our house this year.

this fix

or this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsBB... is being replaced.3 times is out of control.

this fix

or this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsBB... they are clueless as to what they are doing.

If they have not figured out after the first and second failure they need help and should get another shop to look at it so they can save them self's the embarrassment later in life with other customers

If you are doing something wrong it will always be wrong

She's making metal ... can't tell by the picture, but what does the fluid look and smell like? I restore Mopars for a living and work for a high end shop, I do a lot of 727's (four in my shop as I type this). All the ones I do are already removed from the car and I install them when the car goes back together. My "on the bench" price for rebuilds/alumi-blast paint finish and less torque converter is $675 ... when I have to bead blast the case/re-stamp/detail of all fasteners (and make sure the case is perfectly clean inside - this takes a lot of time) I then charge $1000.

Jeezus! i AM ABOUT TO DROP $1400 ON A REBUILD! lol local shop here using all super street TCI parts. stock rebuild. That is a hell of a deal, if it wouldn't cost me twice as much to ship it up there I would.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried calling the guys over at magnum force in SJ? they may be able to give you a recommendation for a trans shop near you. If you could get it up to Hayward I know a good shop there, I am further north east from you if you need help let me know. If mag can't help talk to the guys who put on the ohlone car show http://www.moparalley.org/contact they are in Santa Clara

I had the 727 in my 67 Coronet rebuilt by a reputable shop and it died in the first 5 miles of driving it so I brought it back to the shop and they performed another full rebuild. The builder told me that a servo had caulked sideways in it's bore and caused the drum to weld itself together. When I got it back it ran but something was still wrong. The car would still lurch forward in park if you revved the engine and shifted so I pulled the pan and checked the linkage and it was adjusted right. Now it engages in gear late even when warmed up , slips in all forward gears, leaks out the front of the torque converter and gets beat by street sweepers and turtles in the quarter mile. The 2nd rebuild left me without a car for 2 weeks and I am unsure that the builder knows what he is doing. Has anyone had a similar issue with a Torqueflite. It is still under warranty but I don't want to give my car up for another 2 weeks for another bad rebuild. To make things worse the local ford guys are giving me a hard time and if I can get my ride running right I will make these Mopar haters eat there words. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for looking

I always go in any shop I am thinking to use and look for oil dry. if I see any I just make some excuse and go somewhere else.
clean shop=clean transmission or engine.
most oil dry is porous to make it absorbent, and this is just like abrasive. would you want your transmission rebuilt with a piece of sand inside? I have a good friend that owns one of the areas most reputable trans shops. he is not the areas cheapest, but the shop has floors you can literally eat off of! I guess that cleanliness is part of the price of a rebuild.
it almost sounds like someone either doesn't understand torques of bands or some contamination occurred.
just my 2 cents on reputable shops
pt in Tennessee

I work at Magnum Force in Campbell and my boss is a torqueflite guru but the trans is paid for already and I don't want to bug my boss. The trans shop has replaced all parts but the case and the valve body. They think that the forward clutch pack is staying engaged in 3rd gear due to the valve body bleeding off pressure. I know this is a good shop and have more than a few friends that use there services with no problems. They stand by there work and will get it fixed or replace it with a new one.

I got my car back and the transmission is awesome. Turned out it was a bad valve body. The clutches were slipping the whole time I had it but after four rebuilds it's finaly right and runs like a rocket ship! Tonight we will put the sure grip in. The bad is that my paint job got damaged at the shop. I now have a nice big chip behind the drivers door on the jamb edge and quarter panel. I took it back to the trans shop and showed the guy and he said "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT IT?" I told him to at least pay for the paint and I will repaint it. He say to get the paint code and he will pay for the paint but it is yellow and two years old so I will probably have to repaint the whole car. I am disappointed but glad to get my Mopar back.

A very common problem for torqflites. You need to grind the lower land off for the low reverse servo and adjust the travel as tight as possible.So the lip seal doesn't

A very common problem for torqflites. You need to grind the lower land off for the low reverse servo and adjust the travel as tight as possible.So the lip seal doesn't

?? I've never modified a low reverse servo unless it was to shim it solid. The L/R servo has nothing to do with the forward gears not operating. The only loss of function in forward gears would be no low gear engine braking if the L/R band was disabled.
Doug

cocked servo

?? I've never modified a low reverse servo unless it was to shim it solid. The L/R servo has nothing to do with the forward gears not operating. The only loss of function in forward gears would be no low gear engine braking if the L/R band was disabled.
Doug

Well, in my 30+ years of building, I've seen the cocked L/R servo problem quite often and have found that grinding off the majority of the lower land to where you can "roll" the piston in it's bore without the lip seal binding a good fix. I was reffering to what the builder told him. The first time you engage reverse the servo will get stuck on locking the band....then when you go to forward and the unit tries to shift to 2nd, the unit binds up which will smoke the rev band and drum.

Well, in my 30+ years of building, I've seen the cocked L/R servo problem quite often and have found that grinding off the majority of the lower land to where you can "roll" the piston in it's bore without the lip seal binding a good fix. I was reffering to what the builder told him. The first time you engage reverse the servo will get stuck on locking the band....then when you go to forward and the unit tries to shift to 2nd, the unit binds up which will smoke the rev band and drum.
What causes the servo to cock in the bore in the first place? I would agree if it did cock it could stick the reverse band causing damage. If its does do this which gear will fail? Reverse, the original post says reverse is fine, no forward gears. This would indicate either a hard part failure, planetary, etc. Or no fluid pressure at the front clutch/ or damaged clutch.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back