• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A couple header questions

Also, make sure your header gaskets port window is the same size as the heads exhaust port window. No bigger.

At worst the flange will be warped enough that it needs a little weld bead. Every pair that I install gets flat filed. 3 cars currently in my fleet with headers (along with a bunch of customer stuff). No leaks. Some have been together over 20 years.
Doug

How do you know without using a straightedge? I’m not seeing it. Or are you filing with the length of the flange as opposed to across the flange?
Filing the length of the flange....the only time I'll cut the flange is if the bolt holes are not aligning with the threads in the heads and that's only happened a time or two.
At worst the flange will be warped enough that it needs a little weld bead. Every pair that I install gets flat filed. 3 cars currently in my fleet with headers (along with a bunch of customer stuff). No leaks. Some have been together over 20 years.
Doug
Had a set of Hookers on my 340 Cuda that were on it for all of the years I had it which was around 16-17 years.

I like to cut most of the flange off and radius the sharp edges. Took off well over a lb on a pair of Dougs .

misc 6-8-15 074.JPG

Thanks for all the help guys. I have a little project for some day in the winter.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have a little project for some day in the winter.
Lots of good ideas already, but the two things I've learned over the years is that a lot of times over-torquing the flange nuts/bolts never works, it just causes more warping & leakage. The other thing I've been doing for years now is to use high temp Permatex red gasket sealer when initially installing headers. Keep in mind though, once the flanges are tightened, and some setting time for the Permatex to cure has passed, do not go back and try to tighten anything. That 2-step process has helped me for 40 years or more, and not just with Mopar engines.

I LIBERALLY coat my header gaskets with high temperature silicone every time I have to remove them (which is pretty rare but occasional valve jobs every 20,000 or 30,000 miles necessitate removal) and I don’t have any issues with leaks.

I have Sanderson headers, BTW.

I follow the same process on my 440 in my GTX but it’s got stock cast iron manifolds.

Auto Transport Service
Back