• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Cleaner Help

CherryBomb

Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
Hi all! My 440 is almost complete, and I am starting to look for finishing touches. Getting this out of the way early, I am not going for factory correct, just going for an overall attractive build.

I am running a dual-quad Edelbrock setup, which currently has a supremely average looking stamped chrome air cleaner plopped on top. See the pic below for reference. In all of my searches, I have only come across two air cleaners that I think would look good, but wanted to see if anyone on here had other options in the same vein.

Of course the dream is the factory hemi style air cleaner. I love how large it is, and I think it could really look nice on there, but I doubt the carb spacing is the same, and I don't have the budget to spend $1000 on an air cleaner. The second is this one sold by Edelbrock which is better price wise. I think that with a set of the black Mopar Performance finned valve covers would look decent.

Hoping some of you can chime in with other "flat" dual quad air cleaner options you may be running or have come across. Thanks in advance!

IMG_5100.jpg

The oval ones look the best I think. 2 single round cleaners look kind of goofy and don't move much air. The early 60's ones look cool but they would look out of place on yours. dual quad 440 - Google Search

What body style are you putting it in. The early gold "football" aircleaners are cool, but wouldn't look right on a 67-up. ( and real ones are WAY expensive, I'm thinking about the fiberglass repops. )
You could maybe dress up the a/c you've got with a custom decal (440-8bbl). But I do like the edelbrock a/c you referenced
Either way, stick with the single oval instead of two tiny round ones.

You could build one. If you like the large round Hemi style, a large round base plate would be a piece of cake to fabricate. I have a plain aluminum top on my 540 in a 16" diameter size. I purchased the 2 piece air cleaner from ramairbox.com in
Canada. I think that may work with 2-4s. That style top could be custom painted any way you can dream up!
Mike
IMG_2898.JPG

What you would ideally seek, is the largest surface area of the filter as possible on a single filter.

please define "little". Factory oval, cal custom, or?
Those little "soup can" size filters on multiple carbs actually hinder air flow which results in a loss of power. The factory style large, oval air filters are superior.

I never believed the little Pontiac tri-power filters or Cal Customs could flow enough, but part of "factory" engineering is a filter larger than needed to obtain a certain service life, so I could see Mopar filters being oversized.

A friend of mine put an Eddy 2x4 intake and carbs on his 440 stroker. There is a company up here in Ontario (Hamilton, I think), that repros the Street Hemi style air cleaner in polished aluminum. I am sure they offer base plates in Hemi spacing and 440 Eddy spacing. This is what my friend used on his car. The company advertised in MCG.

What body style are you putting it in. The early gold "football" aircleaners are cool, but wouldn't look right on a 67-up. ( and real ones are WAY expensive, I'm thinking about the fiberglass repops. )
You could maybe dress up the a/c you've got with a custom decal (440-8bbl). But I do like the edelbrock a/c you referenced
Either way, stick with the single oval instead of two tiny round ones.
Should have called that out, sorry. It is going in my '66 Charger. I definitely want the single large air cleaner look for this build.

A friend of mine put an Eddy 2x4 intake and carbs on his 440 stroker. There is a company up here in Ontario (Hamilton, I think), that repros the Street Hemi style air cleaner in polished aluminum. I am sure they offer base plates in Hemi spacing and 440 Eddy spacing. This is what my friend used on his car. The company advertised in MCG.
If you could find out who made that I would be forever grateful. I don't even need fancy polished finish.

I did consider just buying the top plate and filter, then maybe trying to make my own larger baseplate using the existing one I have as the center. Unfortunately, a fabricator I am not so the likelihood of that working well is not very high. The rolled edge would be my largest concern.

You could build one. If you like the large round Hemi style, a large round base plate would be a piece of cake to fabricate. I have a plain aluminum top on my 540 in a 16" diameter size. I purchased the 2 piece air cleaner from ramairbox.com in
Canada. I think that may work with 2-4s. That style top could be custom painted any way you can dream up!
Mike
View attachment 1711702
I like your flat top plate with the recess for the wingnut, this alone would give you an extra half-inch to an inch or more. Was that something you fabricated or part of a complete assembly from Ramairbox? I would dig one of those in 14". I'm using a K & N 14 x 3" air cleaner, a 1" plastic spacer beneath it, and a 3/4" carb spacer. It all barely fits under the hood of my '70 Charger.

EngineBay_Aug2024.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back