• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another lesson learned - Ed story time!

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
Mini Ed Story Time (quick one, I promise):
Been hotter than hell like a lot of places here lately, so I've been on a "finish it up" detail on chores
and such (I try to have things around the property in good enough shape so as not to leave a mess
when I kick)....
So when it came time for the local Cruise-In for the holiday, I was more than ready for Fred to get
out for a little R&R.
Problem was, a little storm came through a few hours before time to head out - and the idjits in power
promptly (and prematurely) cancelled the Cruise. Dammit...

Well, that just wasn't going to cut it, not this time. I (and Fred!) needed to get out! :)

Anyways, the storm got by pretty quickly and the temperature dropped from the 90's to a real nice 78
- and we all know how much these cars love some of that cooler air - so the wife and I piled into Fred and
we had us a drive anyways.
Since the town proper had cancelled the Cruise, we decided not to patronize any place in town for
dinner and instead headed up the holler in the county to a little place for catfish night.
I really needed me some catfish...if you know, you know.
Being sort of out there a ways, traffic was sporadic, sparse and country road-like too so it was a
pretty drive - and Fred didn't cook us like usual on the way, thanks to the cooler temps.

As we backed into the almost-vacant diner, we drew a bit of a small crowd out of the place (they musta
been bored) and they all wanted to strike up a chat in the parking lot about Fred, making a fuss over
him.
I shrugged at the wife and obliged them, of course - always wanting to be a good steward and all.
We finally got inside and enjoyed a typical rural southern supper, chatting casually with the folks there
and taking our time, enjoying the peace and calm (and the catfish was damn good, too!).
The diner is located at about the only "major" intersection out there in the county, so we'd watch an
SUV or minivan full of out of towners pull off in front every so often and I didn't think much of it -
until my wife pointed out that some were actually stopping to take pics of Fred!
Great, like his ego needed any stroking.... :lol:

Towards the end of our meal, a fella out of the kitchen came out to our table and shyly asked if he
could sit a minute with us (he'd come out when we first pulled up and quietly just stared at Fred while
the others chatted with us).
I said sure, pull up a chair...it was pretty apparent he had something on his mind.
I asked if he'd prepared our meals and he nodded. When I told him it was delicious, he smiled a little
bit and quietly said "thanks"....but that wasn't why he'd come to the table and I knew it.

I asked what was on his mind and he suddenly launched into a story about his father and a certain
Road Runner he had when this fella was a kid. He told the story so quickly, it was as if he was afraid
he'd forget part of it if he didn't...
By the time he was done, he had both my wife and I on the verge of tears, so I'll spare y'all the details -
but then, he asked if it was possible "some day" to take a ride in Fred?
"Some day, my *** - let's go now!" I replied - and so we did.
He even worked up the nerve on the drive to ask for me to get a little squirrelly - and new clutch be
damned, I again obliged, Fred getting all goofy sideways on those ancient BFG's. :)
We got back to the diner and they were all waiting on him - and basically gave him a hero's welcome
of sorts as he ran back to them.
The owner looked at me and smiled. I nodded back. She understood - and I was grateful.

I have not often seen that sort of pure happiness in anyones' eyes like I saw in that young fellas' that evening,
brief though it was - and when I tried to explain to my wife, she stopped me and said "I know".
We had a nice ride back towards town (where the streets were pretty much empty, there not being a Cruise-In
and all) and then headed home.
It appears I'm not quite done learning lessons quite yet - and I'm willing to stay after class to do so! :thumbsup:
God willing....

“Tic Toc” already has Footage of Fred’s Squirrelly Action.
1720322485209.gif

Sweet! Sometimes you just gotta do it! Fred likes to dance a little! Some folks will never own or get to chance own a car like ours and we need to keep the dreams alive for all. A simple machine brings back simpler times. Great way to make someone’s day!

He asked if it was possible "some day" to take a ride in Fred?
"Some day, my *** - let's go now!" I replied - and so we did.
He even worked up the nerve on the drive to ask for me to get a little squirrelly - and new clutch be
damned, I again obliged, Fred getting all goofy sideways on those ancient BFG's. :)
We got back to the diner and they were all waiting on him - and basically gave him a hero's welcome
of sorts as he ran back to them.
The owner looked at me and smiled. I nodded back. She understood - and I was grateful.

I have not often seen that sort of pure happiness in anyones' eyes like I saw in that young fellas' that evening.

That is great, Ed.
I agree, we are stewards of these cars and the hobby. It is great to indulge others that show interest and respect for these great cars.
I've let kids sit in my car at car shows. They always seem surprised when I offer. Their smiles are great to see.

Sweet! Sometimes you just gotta do it! Fred likes to dance a little! Some folks will never own or get to chance own a car like ours and we need to keep the dreams alive for all. A simple machine brings back simpler times. Great way to make someone’s day!
Great "short" story, Ed !
Know the feeling well of
enjoying the fruits of your
labor.
I agree, we are stewards of these cars and the hobby. It is great to indulge others that show interest and respect for these great cars.
I've let kids sit in my car at car shows. They always seem surprised when I offer. Their smiles are great to see.
Yes, that's the thing - I know Fred ain't nothing special compared to SO many really nice cars here on FBBO,
not to mention out there in the world - but to a lot of "regular" folks, they don't get to see such cars out in
the wild very often.
One can get so jaded, so steeped into the hobby as to lose sight of that sometimes I think...
So it's really important to seize opportunities when presented to sort of "promote" the hobby, especially to
the younger folks - and if a non-hobbiest appreciates the car, more the better.
Encourage that!!

I'll leave the pristine cars that are hermetically stored away to others - I like the hands-on part of the hobby.
It took me several dances with croaking and a lot of decades to get to this point - but I've learned to enjoy
interacting with random strangers, something that drives my wife nuts. :lol:
:thumbsup:

Great story Ed,thanks for sharing and reminding us that to Bless others when we still have a chance. :thumbsup:

"The best part of owning these cars is the memories they stir up in people."

And the oportunity to stir
those memories. It's a
passion and a drive that
most don't comprehend.
Who, in their "right" mind
spends hours and hours,
untold expense, in bringing
a work of art to it's former
glory?

Great story and well done Ed!! I get it and I do it all the time. When my day comes the last thing I want to think about is selling a car. I don't really own my car, I'm just borrowing it till I get to pass it on. A gift to a lucky guy, from a lucky guy........ Ulli

Auto Transport Service
Back