• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone run a low oil pressure idiot light setup

SUPERSTOCKRACER

Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Moroso low oil pressure light setup is supposed to light up when the power is turned on initially.
Not sure if it only goes on when oil pressure drops below 15 psi only.
Anyone know if it should go on initially?

I am only guessing here Chris but I would say yes. Could be a way of showing you that there is power to it. Doesn't the AutoMeter tachs do the same thing?

I'd say no. The sending unit looks similar to one that would operate an old style in dash idiot light.
I don't remember those lights coming on when starting up. I do remember the light coming on if engine stalled thought.
Just my 2 cents.
:bootyshake:

I'd say no. The sending unit looks similar to one that would operate an old style in dash idiot light.
I don't remember those lights coming on when starting up. I do remember the light coming on if engine stalled thought.
Just my 2 cents.
:bootyshake:

Ange, the Moroso sending unit looks like a Tee with provisions to hook up to oil pressure gauge and 2 male spades coming out of it. 1 for light and other for 12volt.
Old sending unit with idiot light on 69 and older cars were round barrel shaped sending units.

I would think that the sending unit is normally closed, light on,and when oil press. comes up it opens the circuit, consequently losing ground.....light out 2 cents

I would think that the sending unit is normally closed, light on,and when oil press. comes up it opens the circuit, consequently losing ground.....light out 2 cents

I'm thinking the same. Going to see if I got 12 volts and then check the red light to see if the bulb is bad. I got a new light.

I agree.

Just a N/C switch, same as a stock idiot light sender.

Personally, I like the idea of idiot lights in conjunction with gauges. You'll see a red light come on faster than you'll notice a gauge drop.

Maybe if I had power going to it from the ignition,it might have worked. I knew I was missing a wire from a weatherpack connector.duh!:buttkick:

yeh wiring can drive you nuts. I find it easier to make a schematic of what your going to wire and follow it step by step.

yeh wiring can drive you nuts. I find it easier to make a schematic of what your going to wire and follow it step by step.

I rewired all the gauges and tach and going to change the relay to a Ford solenoid. I think I know how everything is wired now.
It's all a learning experience with a new car.:eusa_boohoo:

Attachments

• 65 DODGE DASH 005.JPG
    65 DODGE DASH 005.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 362
  • 65 DODGE DASH 004.JPG
    65 DODGE DASH 004.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 365
I have one right next to the tach, in front of my face, so that even this blind old man can see it.

It does come on initially, and then goes off as soon as the engine get 15lbs PSI.

I have one right next to the tach, in front of my face, so that even this blind old man can see it.

It does come on initially, and then goes off as soon as the engine get 15lbs PSI.

Thanks Steve, glad to see you stopped by to see what going on here.
Hope to see ya at the Beaver!

Is this the Moroso kit you have? #49500

I am going to add one to my 65 before I take it out again. Besides next to the tach where else have you guys mounted the light.

The instructions show that the "T" is off the back of the gauge. I have my gauge on the cowl in a mounting cup so I was wondering how else could I connect to the "T" ? Could I run the line off the back of the gauge and connect to the "T" in the engine bay.

That's the way this old, blind fart does it also. I put a "tee" at the gauge and use a standard idot light sender. It comes on when I turn my key and goes off usually in 2 seconds after the engine fires. I mount the light on the tach opposite the shift light and use a yellow bulb..It's is cheap insurance in case you have oiling problems. The odds of you seeing a guage needle falling is slim and none. Some construction eqipment use a buzzer or ringer they could work also..So far I am not that brain dead....all the way???

That's the way this old, blind fart does it also. I put a "tee" at the gauge and use a standard idot light sender. It comes on when I turn my key and goes off usually in 2 seconds after the engine fires. I mount the light on the tach opposite the shift light and use a yellow bulb..It's is cheap insurance in case you have oiling problems. The odds of you seeing a guage needle falling is slim and none. Some construction eqipment use a buzzer or ringer they could work also..So far I am not that brain dead....all the way???

i agree 100% i got mine right in plain sight. when i turn on my ignition it stays red till i fire it up, 15 psi or higher it goes off. i cant risk blowing this motor due to stupidity.

Attachments

• FINISHED%20605%20B1%20TS%20CORONET%20003.jpg
    FINISHED%20605%20B1%20TS%20CORONET%20003.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 302
Sweet looking engine & car set up there S/S... a regular oil/electrical hobbs switch will do the same thing basically breaks electronic signal to the ignition & shuts the engine down after it drop below 10psi, only when it's running not before it's stared (I believe it is) , most high end automotive outlets Summit or Jegs will have them, Painless performance sells them I think. I haven't run 1 for a Looooong time.

I feel that 10psi is to low. Heck by that time the damage is done. I could be way off here but I wish they had a warning light pressure switch that comes on at 20psi and shuts the car down if it gets to 15psi. I like to be super safe. I don't have the funds to just keep fixing stuff.

I agree that next to the tach is the logical place to install the light but was just wondering if someone put it in some other high visible place.

I just picked up my Auto Meter low oil pressure switch(15psi) and I got a red 4 LED pod that I am going to hook it up to

Last edited:
you can wire one of the same type swiches to trip a relay and break you ignition feed -put a toggle across the relay for starting the car and you have an auto shut off....

If you want an auto shutdown fug has a great idea. You can get a variety of psi switches - 15-50 to control that. I put my light on the column below the wheel - very plain sight. Mine is key on - light on, 15 psi.

Attachments

• IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2536.jpg
    IMG_2536.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 240
If you want an auto shutdown fug has a great idea. You can get a variety of psi switches - 15-50 to control that. I put my light on the column below the wheel - very plain sight. Mine is key on - light on, 15 psi.

so you used a shift light for a low pressure light?
do you use a shift light?
pretty cool idea.

Auto Transport Service
Back